Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temps

Options
markthewood
markthewood Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Fellow Eggers,[p]I've noticed lately that I can not acheive the high temps for searing that I used to get. Last night while grilling some angus filets, I only got about 500 F. Could it be that the cooler temps outside keep the ceramic cooler, or is it my thermometer? Steaks turned out awesome as usual, just wondering.[p]Let me know what you all think.[p]Thanks,[p]Mark

Comments

• disabledBGEWDE
    Options
    markthewood,
    I have had the same problem too. My solution to that is that I put a small fan on the ground in front of the vent, it gives a constant supply of airflow, and thus the temp will soar and peg the thermometer out if you arent careful. I have had mine over 1000 degrees. [p]The fan works great, still wanting a guru

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    markthewood,[p]Was there a lot of ash or a lot of small pieces of charcoal? That can restrict air flow and make it hard to get the temp up.
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    Venting Tool   (Patent Pending)
    <p />markthewood,
    The biggest problem is poor airflow. The fan would help, but if the lump is "used," and it has ash mixed in with it, there could still be problems. That's why a clean firebox is important for the high temp cooks.[p]What I do when the temp isn't rising like it should be, is to use my special tool. This wasn't hand made by the Lawn Ranger (but here's an idea!!) but I have taken a coat hangar, put a nice 90° 3" angle on one end, and a "handle" (Lawn Ranger, pay attention) on the other, and I go in from the bottom vents and ream things out a bit to get some airflow going. Usually after I do this once or twice, the temp shoots up the way it should be.[p]
    The coat hangar is OK, but a stiffer wire would be preferred. The wire used for suspended ceiling supports would be better. A little stiffer is preferred so it doesn't bend when you get to reefing on things. [p]Mike in MN

[ul][li]http://home.comcast.net/~mkorfiatis/egg/vent_tool.jpg[/ul]
  • Mike in MN
    Options
    vent_tool.jpg
    <p />Mike in MN,
    Lets get this right.... "The faster I go, the behinder I get."

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    markthewood,
    After about three months I took out the ring and firebox and found that there was quite a build up of ash and bits of charcoal that had slipped through the air holes in the fire box. After cleaning that out I did my all night pork without having to tend to it once. I would really like to figure out how to clean that area without taking the box and ring out.

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    markthewood,[p]It could just be that you're getting older, as we all are. [p]Many men, as they age, notice some degree of "difficulty" in getting "it" up. "It" can refer to a variety of things, including, but certainly not limited to achieving high temps for searing. [p]If that is the only effect of this well-documented syndrome that you're noticing, count your blessings. The advice already supplied by others likely applies. If not, well, that's way OT.[p]Bob[p][p]
  • Inna Avrelina
    Options
    You might check your thermometer. I was having the same problem with reaching the temperature I wanted to T-Rex our steaks. A quick trip to the boiling water showed that my thermometer was way off. After an adjustment, the temperatures returned to normal.
  • markthewood
    Options
    Yazoo,[p]New lump, and just cleaned out firebox.[p]Mark
  • markthewood
    Options
    Alan P,[p]Yeah, I think you are right... probably the thermometer
  • egghead2004
    Options
    jake42,
    I use a shop vac and adapted a small hose to snake around the outer sides of the firebox. It works well, but not as good as taking out the ring and box.

• jake42
    Options
    egghead2004,
    That is exactly what I have been looking for to put on my shop vac. Where did you get your attachment?
    Thanks in advance.

• egghead2004
    Options
    jake42,
    I took an ABS reducing coupling that sort of fit on the end of the vac hose and duct taped it. On the small side of the coupling I taped on a piece of poly tubing that was 2 feet long. I think the tubing has a 1" ID, but don't hold me to that. It works good for a quick clean out, but for any low and slow I pull everything out because it is not too easy to snake the tubing all the way to the back side of the fire box. You also cannot see what you are doing either.

• jake42
    Options
    egghead2004,
    Thanks