Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib needed better sear (with pics)

schmeetex
schmeetex Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked my first ever Prime Rib on the egg for Christmas yesterday (need to change the date on my camera). Used the Mad Max style and only disappointment was that the sear did not give the desired brown crust I was hoping for...the flavor was great.

Christmasprimerib001.jpg

4.6 pound roast coated with mix of EVOO, garlic, rosemary, ground salt & pepper. Let stand at room temperature for two hours.

Christmasprimerib003.jpg

Heated egg to 500 indirect but as soon as I added the roast it dropped to 350. It took 10 minutes to get up to 450 but then I took it down to 325 for rest of the cook. After 1 hour 20 minutes, it was at 107 degrees internal so I left it on for a full 2 hours.

Christmasprimerib005.jpg

Pulled at 135 internal and let rest for 15 minutes. My wife and mother-in-law like their meat more done.

Christmasprimerib007.jpg

Tasted great along with hash brown and corn casseroles.

What I'll do different next time? I'm going to give the reverse sear a try for a browner crust. If I sear first, I'll make sure the egg is above 500 before putting in roast so that I get the initial sear. I'll also pull at 125 degrees next time to ensure medium rare...and those who want their meat more done...I'll throw their piece back onto the grill for a couple of minutes.

All in all...a very good cook that I'll do again. Flavor was wonderful. Making vegetable beef soup with the bones and leftover meat right now!

SchmeeTex

Comments