Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What is usual cooking time per pound for Prime Rib

Uncle PhilUncle Phil Posts: 665
edited 1:31PM in EggHead Forum
Good Morning and Merry Christmas, everyone. I am doing a prime rib for dinner this afternoon and know I want an internal temp of 125 or so. I only have about 3.5 pounds of meat/bone and was trying to gauge the time to put this on so I can eat at 2 pm today. Any ideas?

Uncle Phil
·

Comments

• Phil,

What temp are you planning on cooking at?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Probably seer at 500 then cook at 325.
    ·
  • krickskricks Posts: 244
    Or you could do it the opposite way. I attended a cooking class of Bobby Q's and he put it on at 325 I think... got it to 125 or 120. Pulled it off and let it rest. Brought the Egg up to something short of nuclear and then seared it. Basically the reverse sear method. There is all kinds of info on that. Me, I'd do the 20 mins per pound as a guideline.
    ·
  • Thanks, Kevin:
    That sounds like a plan.

Phil
    ·
    Now I'm worried! :) Hate to be responsible for a someone's prime rib!! Just keep an eye on it... you know the the whole resting thing and temp run up. I like mine rare - med rare so that is the where my temps come from. Enjoy!!!!!
    ·
  • Phil,

I would plan on a little less. 15 to 18, specially with a small one.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    How did it turn out?
    ·