Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Backorder issues or lazy dealer?

Options
Cowgirlgoods
Cowgirlgoods Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been waiting for a new firebox for my XL since Oct. It is beyond cracked, big chunk broke out of it. My dealer keeps telling me the firebox is on back order. That's if he ever answers the phone. It's the old style box with no pre-crack. Are any of you experiencing this wait? I also ordered felt and he said he can't get that either. I noticed some folks have used JB Weld to fix them, I'm really concerned about the fumes from that? But when do you start getting pushy if you feel like your dealer is not really doing their part?

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I would just give the Mothership a call on Monday and see if they can help.
    (770) 938-9394; (800) 793-2292
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Call BGE customer service. They gave me two updated parts, and I only paid shipping. There is a lot of wiggleroom in replacing parts, that are life time warranty, I think. BGE are expensive, and they are "only" ceramic. BGE can replace parts at minimal cost to them.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Hi,

I suggest you give Big Green Egg headquarters a call and ask them if they are truly backordered. If they are not truly, then I would say it is time to start getting pushy :). It could be that your dealer does not want to pay shipping on this one part, so he/she is waiting until they have a need for another shipment.

You could also consider calling around to other dealers in your area if there are any. If I understand correctly, any authorized dealer can and should handle a warranty replacement.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    And after that...find a new dealer! ;)
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • R&R Futures Trader
    Options
    I had to get a new fire box for my medium because of the same problem. My dealer warned me it might take some time, since they wanted to have a large order to save on shipping. No problem with that so long as I knew why it might take a while. Imagine my surprise when they called a week later and said the fire box was in. That was 2 weeks ago.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    You may get the new style firebox with the gap built in - I did for my XL and it's mightyfine. The distributor is likely waiting for a reasonable sized order to reduce shipping cost. No problem continuing to use with it pieced together.
  • CVDSmokeShack
    Options
    Hi CG;
    I had the same thing happen about a month ago along with two large cracks in the bottom half of my large... Took some pictures and emailed them to the mothership.

All warranties go through the same individual at the mothership; can't recall his name but he was great to work with. He gave me his cell phone add told me to have my dealer contact him directly if he had questions about the warranty!

All parts were on order with 24hrs and received within 7 days. No issues at all... You will be required to pay the freight if you do not want to wait for a stock order to be placed by your dealer.

BGE has many awesome dealers out there... No need to put up with a slacker!!!

Good luck and call the mothership and explain the run around you have been getting! They will help you!
  • Cowgirlgoods
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I will call the Mother Ship on Monday and see what I can find out. Boy if my EGG is not working just right, I'm not right :)
  • Reverend BSB
    Options
    I work for a dealer, and I can tell you that sometimes stuff is back ordered forever. This summer XL's and XL platesetters were on backorder for us until almost xmas. And like others said, your dealer might be wanting to wait for a large order to reduce the shipping. We solve that problem by telling the customer that they can either pay full shipping to get it here soon, or pay reduced shipping and get it on our next order, which could be up to a month or two depending on time of year.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    paid any kind of shipping for warranty parts. Including at least 4 fire boxes a couple of fire rings and 3 or 4 of the old style ceramic fire grates since 1998.

My dealer either has the parts in stock or as in a couple of instances walked over and took the part out of a floor model.

Now, that's what a dealer should do for his customers!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    no need to worry about fumes from JB Weld. It cures and then becomes very hard. My small firebox is still holding up well 18 months after getting a replacement I haven't yet used!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    When you mentioned 'felt' did you mean the gasket? If so, when you call the Mothership, tell them your gasket burned up and you'd like to get a replacement Nomex gasket (with no adhesive). They were sending them out for free. You use a spray adhesive to attach it. Do a Search on the forum for lots of information.

Check here

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/230.htm

for many videos on cleaning and attaching a Nomex gasket.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I would think the dealer wants to order this with a regular order due to the freight.

If you want to know if they are backordered make a phone call to BGE or the distributor. Ask either of them for help.

GG