Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roast... a little disappointing

Options
abundell
abundell Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a 4.3 lb rib roast Mad Max style. I inverted the plate setter, actually stuck a pan of potatoes on it, dropped in a raised rack and put the roast, which was in an aluminum foil pan, on it.

I let the egg go over 500 deg, put everything inside, shut it down and let it drop to 325. Let it go until internal was 126 deg. foiled it and let it rest.

The roast itself was perfectly cooked inside and tasted great. The disappointment was that the outside was not at all crispy or charred. It was a deep reddish brown. More the color of a smoked ham than beef. Not terrible, just not what I wanted.

The potatoes were outstanding. I left them on while the roast rested and let the temp climb up to 350+.

I did notice that the temp dropped pretty quickly from 500 to 325, but... did I do something wrong? The other thing I noticed was that there were no pan drippings. And there was a 15 min period in the middle of things where the temp dropped to 300 and I had to open it up a little to raise the temp, but it didn't seem like a huge deal.

Thanks

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I'm not an expert- I have only done one on the egg. I would say mine turned out about like you described. I don't think you did anything wrong- but if you do want a crispier crust for the next try a few ideas come to mind:

-Coat with oil (olive or canola) before applying rub.
    -More rub (especially more coarse salt). This could be a myth- but I think it is supposed to dry out the outside.
    -Consider a reverse sear next time. Cook low and slow to 118 or so, remove from heat and remove plate setter. Crank the egg up to 500 or so and then put it on direct.
    - Another alternative is using a CI skillet.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I usually leave my BGE at 500 for 20 minutes or so before shutting it down to 250. This seems to create a nice char on the outside.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • abundell
    Options
    The little green eggs in the corner of the post say you're an expert!

Good enough for me. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll try again.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Don't read too much into those little eggs :):). That just means I'm on the computer too much.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tom in ct
    Options
    I am a new egger, and I too did a rib roast for Christmas, mad max style. Like you, I found the temp dropped very rapidly.

The lesson I am taking is to let the dome sit empty at 500 a little longer. I think the air temp in the dome was 500, but the ceramic sides had not reached that temp, and were not radiating the higher temp yet, and that's what crisps the skin.

I also took the roast off at 130, and found it was more well done than I had wanted. Still tasted great, and got lots of compliments.

But I have been egging for less than a year, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
  • tom in ct
    Options
    I am a new egger, and I too did a rib roast for Christmas, mad max style. Like you, I found the temp dropped very rapidly.

The lesson I am taking is to let the dome sit empty at 500 a little longer. I think the air temp in the dome was 500, but the ceramic sides had not reached that temp, and were not radiating the higher temp yet, and that's what crisps the skin.

I also took the roast off at 130, and found it was more well done than I had wanted. Still tasted great, and got lots of compliments.

But I have been egging for less than a year, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
  • fiercetimbo17
    Options
    Yea sounds like you didnt let it really get up to temp, but you also have to be careful because if you let it sit at 500 for 20-30 mins you going to have a heck of a time getting it back down.
  • schmeetex
    Options
    I had the exact same experience yesterday. After getting egg to 500...it dropped to 350 immediately when adding the roast. I let it get back to 450...but then dropped it back to 325 for rest of the cook. I will try the reverse sear next time.

Will post pics of my cook in a couple of minutes.

SchmeeTex
  • Boken Smoker
    Options
    Check out my blog on my rib roast. I thought it came out perfect.

http://bokensmoker.wordpress.com/2010/12/25/my-amazing-prime-rib-roast/