Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg and 1st Prim Rib

Options
Bohicad
Bohicad Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my first time usiing the Egg and smoking a 10 lb Prime Rib. Would appreciate any feedback on my plan.
Rub w/ minced garlic /Sea Salt/ Fresh Pepper and Marinate overnight. Bring to room temp before adding to Egg. Bring Egg to 500dg add Prime Rib add presoaked hickory. Bring down to 225dg plan on 20 min per lb and take off at 120 w/ 130 goal (rare to med rare)tent and carve in a half hour. Note outside temp in 30's
When do you know egg charcoal is lit and ready to go?
Is it recommended that the Prime Rib sit inside a container to catch juices?
How should you adjust times for outside temps?
Anyone have any Aus Jus recommendations?
Thanks in advance for suggestions and Seasons Greetings

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Bohicad,

You are going to have a wait on your hands going from 500* down to 225*. Why not do it the other way? Cook it at 225-250* until 15* shy of your temp finish and then knock everything open. Take the roast out of the pan for your sear so you don't burn your juices and drippings.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lovenbrau
    Options
    Personally I would hold off on salting the meat until just before putting on the grill. Might draw too much moisture out. I would put on at 500 and get it back to 500, shut it down until it gets to 350 then cook for 20 min per pound.
  • Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    I agree. Cook it slow first and sear at the end. Check out this link to thirdeyes blog

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

Kinger
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    That whole salt thing is a huge myth...and a mean one to boot.

The moisture that it pulls out mixes with the salt and takes it right back in through osmosis.

Salt your steak about 3 hours before you cook your next one and let us know what you think about your "dry" steak.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Here is a useful post:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm 
    As others posted, if you try to go from 500 to 225...you probably won't ever make it to 225. However, you can get the egg down to 325-350ish and this will work just fine. The reverse sear is also a popular method.

I would plan to light the grill about an hour before you want to put on the meat. You don't really need this much time, but for your first cook might as well give yourself some time to get the fire stable. I like to use the plate setter to cook indirect. If you don't have a plate setter then I would suggest something under the meat. Use a roasting rack if you have one inside a disposable foil pan.

Good luck!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.