Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Egg assembly and shipping concerns

Options
schilm
schilm Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

I picked up a new XL Egg from the store earlier this week and I'm starting to put it together.

It came with no instructions on how to assemble the band and the band was shipped loose with no box and the side tables already attached. The guy from the store told me that is how they get them from the manufacturer... but that makes no sense to me. the egg came in a box, and the grill, cast iron charcoal grate came in another box, but the assembly that seems delicate was just shipped loose in a truck? That seems bad enough, but the side tables which would cause stress on the thin metal bands were ALSO already attached....

I started to put it together and just on rough fitting the band onto the top and bottom pieces the band seems bent, ie the top doesn't line up wiht the bottom. it is about an inch off and seems bent somehow...

Is this a normal situation and I just need to to fiddle with the band to get it to work, or do I need to get a new band? I called the store and complained and the guy is going to try to get me a new one, but... I'm somewhat concerned I'll have the same situation when I get a new one. I want a flat packed, assemble it myself version to be sure of the quality and "non-bent-ness" ;-) of the device.

How are these things normally shipped. Is the guy at the store correct about the normal shipping means? that just seems insane...

I'd really like to get this thing assembled as it is a christmas present, but I'm pretty concerned about the process so far... and don't want to do anything to jeopardize the unit.

Also, I received NO directions whatsoever on how to attach the band to the unit even if I wanted to. The book that came with it said to refer to the directions in the band box, but... Are there directions on line somewhere for this?

I found directions for a medium/large egg, but this XL one has spring assist and some other craziness and I'm stumped finding out how the heck to put it together.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.
- Max Schilling

Comments

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Your new egg comes with a DVD if you didn't get it, you should go get it from the dealer...also...I have videos on my website showing assembly and how to tweak the seal with the dollar bill test that you can watch that should help you a lot.
    FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • schilm
    Options
    I just went and found the DVD. Thanks for that, but unfortunately it is the same video that I saw on the big green egg website. It describes how to assemble a band that came un-assembled for a medium or large egg. The description doesnt describe how to assemble an XL egg band. I'm sure the process is similar, but being that mine came pre-assembled I'm not sure where to start... and the pieces are extremely heavy (and delicate) so its not really a situation where I want to wing it...

Thanks,
    Max
  • howmeisterg
    Options
    Hi! I have an XL that I recently purchased, the dealer assembled it for me, and included the detailed directions from BGE for assembly. If you send a message to me with your email, I will pdf for you and send to you.

One of these days I have to adjust mine because the bands were installed with the thermo off-center.

The dealer must have done some pre-assembly for you, but not finished the job. I brought mine home from the dealer fully assembled. The egg-mates come separately and need to be attached to the lower band, as you surmised.

Merry Christmas.
  • schilm
    Options
    See that is my concern... The dealer definitely did NOT put the band assembly together... it was at the very least shipped from their warehouse already assembled and they insist it was shipped from BGE in that condition as well... Loose things like that in a truck just seems like a recipe for problems... especially with the weight of the side tables warping the metal as it is carried around from who knows how many stops...
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    OK..well I sell a LOT of Big Green Eggs and we assemble almost all of them ... and they definitely come to the dealer from the distributor in 2 boxes, one with the ceramic stuff and one with the bands / etc. etc.

that being said, if you email me off list, I'll send you a pdf of my new-owner tips ... might come in handy ...also ..if you need any help and want me to call you I would be glad to .. sorry it's can't be tonight I have a gig singing with the Nuns but tomorrow afternoon I have time. Also , the process is very similar to the other sizes ...you should be able to get everything you need from the videos (BGE and/or mine) .. but again, if you have concerns and want to talk ... let me know off list and I'll be glad to hold your hand . FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Unbolt the side shelves from the band. Place the nuts back on the screws (hand tight)and then put the band over the dome and base of the egg. Tighten the bands and as a last step put the shelves on.

BTW my bands came packed in their own box and were "Saran wrapped" together. The shelves came in their own separate box.
  • larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Options
    I bought an xl myself and had to assemble the entire thing which seemed more complicated than it was. As you see, everyone chips in here to help. You can always find answers here on the forum, hope you enjoy your XL
  • schilm
    Options
    Thanks for the help all.

I appreciate the offers of assistance, but I think I need to wait to get new, undamaged, parts from the dealer.

howmeisterg sent me the directions for assembling the bands... it appears that someone decided to follow those instructions for assembling the bands but WITHOUT attaching the bands to the ceramic egg parts... and they went so far as attaching the springs too... and it seems the hinges and springs have warped the bands... my only option is to disassemble the pieces and put it back together properly according to these directions, but I don't want to risk it with potentially damaged parts so I guess I'm going to have to pass on Christmas weekend grilling and wait until next week when I can fight with the dealer... yay.

But thanks again howmeisterg for sending me the directions. having that in hand is exactly what I need to prove that it doesn't come pre-assembled from BGE.

- Max
  • schilm
    Options
    Thanks for the help all.

I appreciate the offers of assistance, but I think I need to wait to get new, undamaged, parts from the dealer.

howmeisterg sent me the directions for assembling the bands... it appears that someone decided to follow those instructions for assembling the bands but WITHOUT attaching the bands to the ceramic egg parts... and they went so far as attaching the springs too... and it seems the hinges and springs have warped the bands... my only option is to disassemble the pieces and put it back together properly according to these directions, but I don't want to risk it with potentially damaged parts so I guess I'm going to have to pass on Christmas weekend grilling and wait until next week when I can fight with the dealer... yay.

But thanks again howmeisterg for sending me the directions. having that in hand is exactly what I need to prove that it doesn't come pre-assembled from BGE.

- Max
  • schilm
    Options
    FYI, if I'm not describing the situation well, here is a photo of exactly what was handed to me by the dealer who says this is what they pulled off the truck.

I recieved:

The assembled bands (pictured)
    The box containing the grill and the cast iron charcoal grate (and dvd and such)
    The box containing the ceramic egg and related pieces.

bge_001.jpg

- Max