Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide

Options
407BGE
407BGE Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had alot luck using the "hot tub" method for steaks and have always known that it is simply a simplefied version of Sous Vide cooking.

Sous-vide (pronounced /suːˈviːd/), is French for "under vacuum",is a method of cooking food sealed in airtight plastic bags in a water bath for a long time —72 hours is not unusual—at an accurately determined temperature much lower than normally used for cooking, typically around 140 °F. The intention is to maintain the integrity of ingredients. The sous-vide method is used in several gourmet restaurants under Heston Blumenthal,Kevin Sousa,Paul Bocuse, Michael Carlson,Thomas Keller, Ferran Adrià, Joël Robuchon, Alessandro Stratta, Charlie Trotter, Michael Mina and other chefs.

Vacuum packaging prevents evaporative losses of flavor volatiles and moisture during cooking and inhibits off-flavors from oxidation. This results in especially flavorful and nutritious food. Vacuum sealing also reduces aerobic bacterial growth and allows for the efficient transfer of thermal energy from the water (or steam) to the food. For us eggers the steaks are "cooked" slowly through to precooked temperature and then hit at a high temp to properly cook the outside of the steak.

A good circulating immersion water bath for this type of cooking is at least $1,000. I found these plans on line and though I would share.

http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/02/diy-sous-vide-heating-immersion-circulator-for-about-75/

Merry Christmas!

Comments

• WindsorEgg
    Options
    You can do the same thing with an external temp controller that is designed to control a heater (on/off controller that the heater plugs into). You can plug that into a rice cooker filled with water. But, oddly enough, that's a more expensive solution - the controller is $100. Plus you don't get to build anything, and what fun is that.

**edit, spelling error.
  • Lightnin' Bolt
    Options
    Really cool article/tutorial! I have been curious about this whole sous vide hype and am not interesting in shelling out at seriuos dough to check it out, but I am willing to experiment with the $75 version. Plus I get to build something.... double bonus!!!!! ;)

Thanks for posting.
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Options
    Consider getting a Sous Vide Magic controller which you can use with a simple rice cooker, crock pot or electric roaster. A bit more expensive, but works very well.
  • ranger ray
    Options
    i wonder how i ever got along with out this!..... yikes! my parents abused me!.... lol.... rr... just teasing!.... kinda like the guy with the liquid nitrogen desserts////... rr.
  • Lightnin' Bolt
    Options
    Do you have one of these? I am guessing you do from your post. Is it pretty easy to use or is it more of a pain in the rear to use.

I have been curious on the difference these units make on cooking and would be interested in getting your impressions.
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Options
    I have one of the beta testing versions - measures in full degrees rather than 0.1. There was a bit of a learning curve setting it up for the swing above and below temperature - but I suspect in the commercial version it's just plug and play.