Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Automatic Temp Control

Waterscapes
Waterscapes Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone recommend a automatic temp control with food temp at least two food temp? I currently using a Maverick and would like to sleep all night during the long cooks.

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    I love my stoker. Some people here go commando, some go with the stoker, some go with a BBQ Guru product, and some go with just the maverick. Most, if not all still get up every 4 hours to check their fire. Having one of these gadgets is not fail safe. I still get up once during the night to check on my fire even with my stoker running.
  • A friend of mine and myself have the guru. I used mine yesterday on a prime rib and last week on a butt. It worked great. Simple to use. The stoker looks cool but expensive if you are not concerned about sending temps to phone computer etc. If you like that it looks pretty cool.
  • I cook commando with only a Maverick thermo. Once you get some experience under your belt it really isn't hard to go all night without issue.
  • The stoker more than looks cool. It is cool. Gives lots of options. Don't have a guru but can say I love my stoker.

You can do an almost infinite number of probes.
  • I use the bbq Guru. Set the temp you want the grid or cooking surface to be, set the temp that you want the meat to go to.....then set it and forget it.

I don't get up and check on my meat when I cook with the guru. I don't micromanage the meat.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    I have the stoker and use StokerLog application to monitor on my laptop that I use on my large BGE. I bought it with a 5CFM fan, one fire probe, and two meat probes. Couldn't be happier!

For over-night cooks, I set up the laptop in my bedroom (making sure I have a power option set to make sure the machine doesn't go to sleep on me), set the fire alarms to my target temp plus/minus 15 degrees, and go to sleep.

The last over-nighter, I slept all night and woke up the next morning to the food temperature alarm letting me know the pork butts were done.
  • I am a big Stoker fan, but the BBQ Guru does a good job too. It depends how many bells and whistles you want. I can connect to my stoker to monitor or adjust the temp from anywhere using my Blackberry.