Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6 racks of ribs - a resounding success!

Options
Pigasso
Pigasso Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to all for your help. The rib cook was excellent! They went on the large at 11:00 AM with my friend the guru to control things. I clipped the pit temp probe to the stem of the BGE thermometer and inserted the meat probe into the ribs - an idea that I later dicarded having decided to rely purely on dome temp (250)and time.
RacksofRibs001.jpg
Here they are some 6 hours later - I was worried that I had let the go too long - silly thought! "These are the best ribs I have ever had!" more than one guest remarked.
RacksofRibs002.jpg
Whilst I was out during the day I stopped in at Rice Epicurian who just happened to have Angus tenderloin for $6.99 a pound. What the hey! The plate on the left is for most of the guests, the plate on the right, medium well to well done (shudder) is for my parents (thay can't help it, they are English!) I must have been in an exceptionally good mood to destroy a wonderful cut of beef for their benefit!
RacksofRibs003.jpg[p]Wishing you and yours a happy and prosperous new year,[p]Pigasso & Sue E.[p]

Comments

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    Pigasso ,[p]Wow, that all looks great. I'm definately hungry now.[p]That is some pretty nice looking lancscaping as well.[p]
  • Pepper
    Options
    Pigasso ,
    Looks great,[p]Can you give the recepe you used?

• Pigasso
    Pigasso Posts: 111
    Options
    Pepper, I'd be happy to - there is not much to it! I peeled the membrane off the ribs and then applied a shaking of Dizzy pig's Ragin River to 3 racks and Dizzy dust to the other three. I worked the seasonings into the meat and then rubbed in a liberal coating of French's yellow mustard. On top of that I added another shaking of the Dizzy Pig, wrapped in Saran wrap and refrigerated overnight. The next day, 1 1/2 hours before cooking I removed the ribs from the fridge to bring them up to room temp, brought the egg to 250, added apple and pear chips and then put the ribs in the rack. I turned the ribs every two hours (I don't think it made much of a difference) and think the cook was probably done at 5 hours. I did not sauce these ribs, rather I placed 3 different sauces on the table and let the guests choose their own. After I pulled the ribs from the egg, I let them rest 20 minutes and then sliced them into 2-rib servings.[p]There were none left.[p]Thats it![p]Have a great new year,[p]Pigasso.

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Pigasso ,[p]Looks Fantastic![p]Happy New Year!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Marine Cook
    Options
    Pigasso ,[p]Wow!!! Looks great Matt. I'm doing a 3 bone rib roast today for us and a wild hog shank tonight for a friend. Great start to a new year.[p]Semper Fi,[p]MC
  • Pigasso,
    Very nice, so did you do them direct or was there a place setter with drip pan?[p]