Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt cooked quick - need suggestion

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready to pull a butt off and it is only 8:30AM. What do you do with a butt that is done, but you aren't ready to eat yet? Just wrap in foil and pull it when ready to eat?[p]Happy New Years[p]Kelvin

Comments

• greggsegg
    Options
    Kelvin,
    After wrapping in foil throw in cooler with newspapers, will hold for several hours!!

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    GreggsEgg,
    Well, if your pork is for dinner, I would rest the meat untill its cooled down and then simply refrigerate in a plastic bag. Then reheat in the egg or oven using a pan covered with aluminum foil. Use your remote temp. gauge so you don't over heat. I don't like the thought of meat sitting around for hours unrefrigerated. [p]Happy New Year,
    Clay Q

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Clay Q,[p]I've got sort of the same problem.I started a pork tenderloin at 8:30 and I just took it off. The internal of the loin was 145 degrees. Don't you think it will be OK wrapped up in foil, in towels, in a cooler? We'll have it for lunch. I prefer to try and keep it warm instead of refrigeration and re-heating. Any comments?[p]Thanks,[p]Jimbo[p]
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    JimboBQ,
    It's your call. Mom always used the frig to store meat and well- so do I. Pork tenderloin, that's tricky to reheat, unlike butt. Hummmmm, might try reheating with a sauce so meat will not dry out- be real gentle with heat.
    Serve warm- doesn't need to be hot. [p]Clay Q[p]

• greggsegg
    Options
    Clay Q,
    I.ve had one in foil, in cooler packed w/newspaper for 4 hours was still hot when pulling! Works great for early preparation! Was trying to do this for mine this year but my fire died last nite!! got the ribs goin though!!!!! Happy New Year!!

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Clay Q,[p]I wrapped it in 2 layers of foil, 2 bath towels and put that in a styrofoam cooler. It stayed very warm for about 2.5 hours. We even used the juices that had collected in the foil. Yum, Yum![p]Jimbo[p]
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • GreggsEgg,
    Thanks. I ended up keeping it on the egg a while longer by getting the temp down a little. Only sat about 5 hours before pulling. Still very warm.