Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium BGE - Caution on Indirect Cooking

Options
Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just put a bunch of baby back ribs on the grill using the indirect firebrick method - using this method the actual cooking grill is raised by the height of the firebricks. [p]I started the fire, raised the dome temp to about 150 and put the ribs on -- waiting for the temp to hit the 225 level which never happened. I looked through the top and saw that the probe of the dome thermometer was sticking into one of the rib racks - not good - fortunately I saw the problem early or it could have had a disaster. [p]I moved the ribs around, closed the dome and immediately watch the temp rise to the 225 level.[p][p]

Comments

• Gfw,What do you mean by indirect cooking and the use of
    firebricks. I want to do ribs this weekend and need some
    pointers.

• Gfw
    Options
    Doctor J, nothing serious - you just have to make sure that the probe on the dome thermometer doesn't stick into what ever you are grilling - else the temp reading will be of the meat and not the dome - for info on Firebricks check out the link below. [p]I'm doing ribs this afternoon - 5.5 hours indirect at about 225 degrees - that last hour I'll move the dome temp up to 250 and put on the BBQ Sauce - If you do check out the link, there are also several recipes available (baby-back, country, spare) - use the search link and type in RIBS

[ul][li]Firebricks[/ul]
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Gfw, You actually put BBQ sauce on your Baby-Backs? OH! GROSS! I hope the "Proud-Pork-Producers-and-Pampered-Pig-Packers-of-Peoria" don't get wind of this. That's just plain insulting to honorable hoggs. We only set a jar of "Bone Sucking Sauce" out on the table just incase a Yankee stops by for a snack. Our kids won't even use it on our ribs. We don't use A-1 on our steaks either. I did remove the membrane from my baby-backs this time just to see what all the hubb-bubb is about. They are sitting in the fridge with rub on them and will be swimming in Balsamic vinegar before bed time, awaiting their egg-debut tomorrow night. And while we are smacking on the ribs, the big butt will be getting a 24 hour tan in the egg, in anticipation of being pulled apart by ravenous, drunken, diners, Sunday evening. But I do like your idea of using the dome thermometer to keep a check on the internal meat temps...

• Gfw
    Options
    King-O-Coals, Sometimes the sauce (Gfw's BBQ Sauce in recipe section) goes on the ribs and sometimes it goes on the table - depends on how I feel on any given day - either way is ok and neither way is the only way - just like sometimes we make baby-backs - sometimes Country - and sometimes Spare - sometimes I use foil and somtimes I don't -- I don't really care as long as they turn out good and they always do.[p]Just getting ready to leave for the store for 2 boston butts for tomorrow - sounds like a PP weekend.[p][p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Doctor J,
    If you are looking for pointers look in the recipe section. JSlot's rib technique uses the indirect method, and his description is thorough. I do ribs about half and half. Sometimes direct, sometimes indirect. Can't go wrong either way. JSlots method allows for cooking a whole bunch of ribs in rib racks. When I use indirect, I just lay the slab flat on the second grate, over a drip pan.[p]That will give you some ideas. Also TimMs website has some info and pictures on indirect ribs. [p]With those babybacks you have, Cat's recipe is worth trying as soon as possible.[p]Let us know if you have any other questions. Good luck.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ