Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Crust Not Done

alabama tennis player
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help. I cooked my first pizza. I set up th BGE with the plate setter with legs down. I put the pizza on a round cooking stone on top of the plate setter and cooked the pizza for about 30 minutes at 350. The toppings got cooked sufficiently, but the crust only got done around the edges of the pizza. What do I need to do differently to get the entire crust done.

Comments

• 500 degrees for 12 min.
  • Most people cook pizzas at 500 plus for a shorter period of time. However, the most important thing is to let your pizza stone get to the temperature of the egg before starting your pizza. This takes like 30-45 min. I believe. You also want to put some spacers between your pizza stone and your plate setter, or you will have the opposite problem (crust will burn).
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Pre heat your stone for 45 minutes before putting on the pizza, and cook it at a higher temperature.
  • BillHill
    BillHill Posts: 109
    Cook at a higher temp. I do mine at 450-500. It was trial and error for me, but that seems to be the sweet spot with my setup. I do platesetter legs down with 3/4 inch stainless nuts on top, and pizza stone on top of that.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    only time i would cook at 350 would be a thick deep dish pizza in a pan and i would par cook the crust before adding ingrediants. make the crust thinner and go hotter, try some at 500 and then experiment even hotter as you go, everyone makes and likes different pizzas so experimenting with pie thickness and temps helps alot to find what you like. i like all pizza styles so cook between 350 and 1200 depending on what i want at the time. it takes a few pizza cooks to zero in on it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Margie
    Margie Posts: 52
    Pizza on the egg is our favorite. I have the plate setter legs down, egg feet then my stone on the feet. Temp 500-600 and cook 10-15min. at the longest. They have been enjoyed by many. Try again & enjoy.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    350 not going to do it like other have said. Crank it up to 450-500 for 45 mins before putting the pizza on the stone. 10-14 mins and perfecto!
  • I agree with every one crank her up!
    I do mine 500° dome and put pie in when stone reaches 400° she'll be done in 10-11 minutes. Try again it is good pie. B)
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Your setup will work well as long as you preheat all of the stones with the egg. The temperature needs to be at well heated (need to restrict airflow to hold temperature down) 500+ degrees. Pizza shops us this temperature and much higher to make pies. I have made pies using a well heated 700-750 degree egg. These were some of the best tating pies I've made.

Cooking time will vary with thickness and topping selection. Leave the top off and peek down to view when done.

Well worth the effort,
    Spin
  • Spin
    Your setup will work well as long as you preheat all of the stones with the egg. The temperature needs to be at well heated (need to restrict airflow to hold temperature down) 500+ degrees. Pizza shops us this temperature and much higher to make pies. I have made pies using a well heated 700-750 degree egg. These were some of the best tating pies I've made.

Cooking time will vary with thickness and topping selection. Leave the top off and peek down to view when done.

Well worth the effort,
    Spin
  • Spin

Well worth the effort,
    Spin
  • I've experimented a lot and been to the pizza schools. Lately I've been using 650 dome (no nuclear anymore).. let dome gather heat ..then insert platesetter and stone ..when stone reaches 500 insert first pie.

I have quite a few videos on my stores website of this procedure.. you get a nice pie in 4 min or so .. if the egg-gods are with you , you can get as good a pie as on a wood-fired oven.

FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    hard to get that char popped bubble on the crust at lower temps and if its what you want you need a min of 900 degrees going with really thin crusts. my favorite place has the wood fired oven, been watching them, they start out at 1000 degrees back near the fire, then pull it back once the crust starts to crust over into an area that may be about 600, i like those thin crusts chared just a little on the outside crust on top but the middle droopy and oily wet form the cheese and pepperoni. 500 to 600 is good to start with though, most cant stretch a dough thin enough to go really hot anyways
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Here's a couple done at 650 dome using my technique of letting the dome charge before inserting the stone etc.
    650 dome, caputo flour, 59% hydration, etc. (this is at one of our saturday morning BGE cooking demos)

IMG_4935.jpg
    Bresaola, sauteed mushrooms and onions

IMG_4924.jpg
    Mac & cheese w/ peperoncino

IMG_4931.jpg

IMG_4928.jpg

Happy Pizza Eggin!
    FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa.