Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Introduction of ABT's to New Orleans

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted this last night but for some reason it isn't here to day. But I was a wee bit under the rum at the time.

We're here in New Orleans (Metairie actually) and last night was a meeting of some of our co-travelers to Hawaii in April. I took the liberty of cooking some ABT's and they were a big hit.

One guy said it's "the best food he's ever eaten." He said it twice. So I gave him a card and pointed him twoward his local Egg Dealer.

I told him that ABT's were a gift from Saint Bison Droppings, and magic done inside the Big Green Egg, and served by Spring Chicken Himself.

The ABT's were cooked on the Mini I won in Oklahoma City and given to my Brother-in-Law. He's been cooking on it and likes what comes off. These were the first ABT's. Now he knows how to cook em'.

Anyway, we're still tired but will soon be headed to a place that makes the best shrimp poboys in New Orleans.

Then Santa comes and we eat more food and drink more rum and visit more people and eat more food and drink more rum.

Another Merry Christmas to you all.

(Wonder what's going on at the Chicken Ranch?)

Spring "Life Can Be Fun If You Let It" Chicken
Metairie Louisiana USA

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Metarie and Best shrimp poboys.....hmmmmmm

Lots of places will advertize that but I'll take a guess staying in "Metry"

Deannies
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Please have your friends take you to Short Stop Po Boys and eat a Po Boy for me. After that have them take you to Morning Call for an order of doughnuts and a Cafe Au Lait for me please. If you can't handle the caffeine a chocolate milk would be my second choice.

Merry Christmas to you and the Hen!!!
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Mr. Ed's in Kenner?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Haven't been there. Youngest son just moved to Kenner and he likes a good shrimp poboy - he will appreciate the tip.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    What is an ABT?
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Hey, got a bunch of good info on our trip last night. I have paper copies to mail you but Jay is going to send an email with it too. I'll send it to you as soon as I get it. He also wants to be sure about which side of the ship you guys want? Can't wait....
    "Spring Hen signing off of Chicken's computer and off to get a Po-Boy" Merry Christmas!
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Have fun. If I were staying in town I'd give you a shout, but I'm headed north. Going to be spending time in Hattiesburg this Christmas.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks Mike. He really needs to eat one to Eggsperience them. But that will come in time.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Spring "This Side Of The Lake" Chicken
    Metairie Louisiana USA
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    My traveling companion advises that she would like to be on the side that faces the island(s).
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Here's the ones I made last night on the Mini Egg.

ABTsonAllensMiniEgg-1.jpg

Cooked direct.

In polite circles we use 'ABT' to keep people from being offended by their real name - Atomic Buffalo Tu&ds

You gotta try 'em.

Spring "
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Leroy et al,

With all of the ABT talk you guys and gals need to try MaineEgg's ABT dip...easier & better IMHO... :)

Here is my version:

ABT DIP
    (adapted from a recipe by Maine Egg)

INGREDIENTS:

15-20 Jalapeno Peppers (cored & chopped)
    3 8oz blocks of cream cheese (softened in the microwave)
    ¾ lb bacon (cooked, drained & broken into pieces)
    1 jar sweet salsa (I used Paul Newman Pineapple salsa)
    1 tsp Ragin River (any spicy rub will do)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Using a 10” CI skillet cook bacon until crispy, drain, crumble, set aside. While bacon is cooking seed & chop peppers into bite size pieces. I usually core half of the peppers real well and leave half with seeds & membrane. When the bacon is done take the chopped jalapenos and put in pan with bacon grease and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes to soften up the peppers. After the peppers are done drain the excess bacon grease.

With the BGE at 300-350 put the cooked jalapenos in the bottom of the skillet. Take the softened cream cheese and spread over the top of the jalapenos with a knife or spatula. Spread…do not stir as you want a layered dip. Sprinkle the Ragin’ River over the cream cheese. Pour the salsa over the cream cheese. Then add the bacon to be the top layer.

Cook at 300-350 for 30-40 minutes until bubbly. I usually turn at least once to avoid burning.

Serve in the CI skillet with crackers or bagel chips….

Serves 10-12.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Jay explained the right side/left side thing last night by saying either side is good because the view switches to the other side at some point. We'll just have to walk to the other side with drinks and camera in hand.

I can do that.

Judy has info for you.

Merry Christmas to you and all your girls.

Spring "Hen Is Wanting Us To Leave Now" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    WOW! Are you sure there were no laws being broken making that concoction? Surely some sin was committed while eating them.

We'll try them as soon as we get back to the Chicken Ranch.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Spring "Some Culinary Sins Need To Be Committed Just As Some Local Laws Need To Be Broken If You Want To Have Fun" Chicken
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Leroy just a guess here but would Frank want the side not under water :lol:
    You guys are going to have a ball.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    I think Short Stop is on the short list. Coffee and bignets are always good. I'll try to eat some for you too.

Merry Christmas

Spring "Short On Stopping" Chicken
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Have a shrimp Po' Boy for me while you are down there....Merry Christmas to you & Judy and all the Chicken Ranch staff... :P :lol: :silly:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    On the one hand there is starboard and the other hand there is port - sounds like we need a starport :)
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Make sure you hit Drago's in Metaire (Fat City). They have, by far, the best oysters (chargrilled) we have eaten. A place not to miss!
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Clark - That is our first stop :)
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Bookmarked!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I Egg'd some with a very close recipe and they were 'da bomb'.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    We heard that their company-owned oyster beds were closed due to BP and no one else would sell them oysters, so they swithced to mussels until it all blows over.

We can make 'em in Texas though.

Spring "BP'd Again" Chicken