Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't Stand A Thief!!

2»

Comments

• Be careful with that .40, man, you can put a hole in someone you don't intend to. Why not try a 12 gauge instead? :P
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Molly, unless it's in a very very rural area, there will be some documentation of the call. The cop that didn't do his job can be found. This may or may not be their policy but the insurance company will be none too happy about forking out repair costs when the other guy's ins. should be paying.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    We too have lived in a neighborhood with over 100 homes only accessible through one road entrance where robberies/break-ins/whatever have NEVER happened in the 30 years we have been here. OTOH so far this year there have been 3 entries/robberies! But you know what??? All 3 came right through the UNLOCKED front doors in BROAD DAYLIGHT! The sheriff's deputy warns that we are just too vulnerable! People/kids/creeps/whatever's are becoming more bold!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Yea, a camera is a real sensible alternative if you're concerned they may have weapons.

Where I was trained the motto was "don't bring a knife to a gun fight"
  • Always remember, "What goes around, comes around!"
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    thats someones kid or kids in the neighborhood, when i say kid, up to a thirty old. i know one right now looking at a minimum 2. if it happened in broad daylight in a small community, everyone recognizes each other at least, might not know them personally, and or recognizes the car they drive, you know when someone or their car doesnt belong in the neighborhood
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Blair,
    In the state of Florida you have the right to protect your personal property. You do not have to fear for your life. Florida changed the law a couple of years ago. I have a conceal weapons permit and I carry all the time, and I will protect my property.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Actually in our case two of the robberies have been solved and they were two teenagers from a town 30 miles from here. The only lead on the third one is that a faded old car was seen coming from there that morning - so now every faded dark car is scoped by residents!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    last time we had trouble was friends from a neighbors kid, stolen boat from next door,they got tracked down to hiding under my dock with a gun, 15 year olds from out of town, neighbors daughter (my neighbors are all police officers) brought them home, drinking, being idiots, but definitely the wrong crowd. cant do anything about it, when my truck was vandalized at work with a bunch of others, the kids were caught, still cant get a name from the station, they say they are handling it in court but wont give any info of progress, not even a name, was over 2k in damage to the truck. at the house kids are strange, been beers sitting on the front steps for ten years now, they dont bother me,never touched the beers, but they do bother the neighbors :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sorry to hear that man! Bad news, for sure.

Hope you called the local police with make, model and SN. Don't know how well you department or state works on such matters But...

I had a thief in my house....it was a good two years, but the County Detectives got a rifle back to me, that I thought was long gone!
  • That does suck. Two nights ago I got up at 1:00 A.M. and as I walked past the front door movement outside caught my eye so I headed to the window. 3 guys were walking by the car I had parked in the street and one of them had his hands to the class so he could peak in and check everything out.

Then they started up the drive toward my car so I stepped out on the front porch in my badd-ass pajama pants and asked if I could help them. I was told they were looking for a dog that got loose but I let them know he wasn't in either of my cars.

Long story short, the police knocked on my door 30 minutes later and had them picked up.

Can't stand theiving bastards!
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    That sucks, but go get this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html

Just set it down on the ground out of view and you will know when anyone comes over to 'visit'. I have this on my back steps to let us know when the cats come up. Works absolutely perfectly.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Lee that is terrible,the balls of people to come on your property and then take something out of your garage(No friggin Excuse!!) I would love to come down as a hunter and start a new hunting season!! I hope it all turns out well.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  •  
    Good to know Tim, thanks, when I got my permit protecting property with a fire arm was not a good idea.

Blair