Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
FlatEric
FlatEric Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 5 lb flat that i put on last night... it has gone 10.5 hrs and is reading 194 internal.... Time to pull and wrap in foil/cooler? Length of cook sound right? btw..I set Guru at 230 ish grill level

Comments

• FlatEric,
    sounds fine id take it off and wrap it up ASAP.

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    FlatEric,[p]Sounds about right for a flat as far as I'm concerned.[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    FlatEric,
    Like the other fellers say, perfect. I've found small flats (4-6 pounds) cook in about 10, so you are right on. Enjoy it!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • FlatEric
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    BTW, I rubbed with Dizzy Coarse, and Cow Lick..... Flavor was great, wish it was a little more tender.... maybe i am used to doing butts????

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    FlatEric,[p]Hard telling exactly what the problem is. I've found brisket to be the most challenging hunk-o-meat of any. First and foremost, you HAVE to start out with a well marbled piece of meat, IMO. Cooking a lean brisket for that long is going to result in shoe leather. Anyway, that's been my experience.[p]I normally would suspect you hadn't cooked it long enough, except it sounds like you did. Not cooking long enough results in tough meat also. The collagen has to have an opportunity to break down.[p]Only one more thing besides the marbling and the length (and temp) it was cooked. That is, how long did you let it rest? I think most people will advise to pull it, wrap in a towel, place in a cooler for at about an hour.[p]Like I said - I've had great difficulty turning out a consistently good brisket. Probably should do them more often! LOL