Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky help

Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got some venison I really need to do something with and with the kids going to bowl games I thought Jerky might be a good idea, so they could snack on it. One problem...I've had my two Eggs for years and have never made it before. I mean I have no idea where to start. I do have a Guru, so I assume that will make it a little easier. Is there one part of the meat I should use? How thin/thick should I cut, etc., etc. Marinade suggestions?
As always thank you guys for your help!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Jerky is done at 150° usually.
  • I have a couple of methods that have been standards for me. I'll find the brine / cure recipes and send them off....
    But, in the mean time, some food for thought:
    You will want to do a cure and a slow smoke.
    I don't know anything about a Guru...But maintaining a temp. of about 250 F. is a good starting point.
    Later.....
  • For the life of me...I can't find my wet cure recipe....I haven't used it for a good number of years now :blush:
    If memory serves, it is from "Little Smoker" and I think it is intended for fish, but I have used it with venison....Oh well, I'll keep looking.
    As for a dry cure, I either use High Mountain or some local stuff from a sausage company up the road from here.
    I do the cure according to the package directions, then put it on the Egg at 200 F. with Maple smoke-wood.
  • i concur... no need for "market " spices/ cures /chemicals........ just use what you think flavors/spices you'd like with some soy sauce some white zin or red wine........ let it marinade over night..and smoke it til ya think it feels right( you'll know cause you can't resist! ... .....use what ever wood you have.... put it in plastic bag.... it will be gone... before it has a chance to spoil.... lol... trust me! rr been doing it for 40 years.... never used a recipe... ever! rr
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    I have used the High Mountain cure with great success. Always a hit with my nephews (and me, too).

Slicing is the biggest issue. High Mountain has a cutting board and knife that delivers consistent results.
  • Found the "wet brine" recipe... :woohoo:

Heat, mix together well and cool:
    1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup salt, 2 cups soy sauce, 1 cup water, 1 cup red wine, 1/2 tsp. onion powder, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce

Trim all fat from meat. Slice meat with the grain about 1/4 to 1/2” thick. The meat slices nicely when semi-frozen, or call on your butcher to slice it for you in his machine. Place meat in the cool brine / marinade and leave overnight, or for no less than 8 hours.

Remove from brine and allow to air dry without rinsing.

Slow Smoke for up to 12 to 16 hours, depending on how dry you like the jerky. Use Hickory or Cherry (even Mesquite for a stronger flavor)