Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

brisket confusion

Chef BoyareeChef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited 3:14AM in EggHead Forum
I usually cook my brisket until an internal temp between 185-190, but a couple of the recipes on this site call for pulling from the grill at 140.

What gives with the variance in final temp?

Comments

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 5,016
    Might pull at 140, wrap in foil and put back on.
    Can you post link for a 140 cook?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • so you agree with me about the higher final temp?

Link to the 140 cook below:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=884
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    Go with the higher temp.The 140 would be fine if you were cooking a pastrami.
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    brisket (beef) is technically "done" at 140 - but to be moist, tender, etc. then you have to cook it until the collagen converts to gelatin and until the fats render. That doesn't happen until 180+ and is the reason for the plateau. All the heat energy is being consumed by the chemical reactions taking place instead of raising the temperatures of the meat.

If it is a cured/corned beef then you can pull it at lower temps because the tenderness and mouth feel desired are created by the cure rather than the cooking process.

I hope this makes sense.
  • Hoss and I are on the same page...
    Go with a temp. of 190 F on a brisket, you will have a fall apart tender at that point.
    Not sure what it would be like at 140 F. as I have never done that. But "falling apart" is good, for sure!