Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Is your Big Green Egg still cooking even though it’s cold out? We hope so! We love the opportunity to cook heartier meals on the EGG during the winter. Some recipes you definitely want to try are Double Smoked Potatoes, BBQ Chicken Soup, Monte Cristo Sandwich and Breakfast Quiche. These are sure to keep your stomach warm & full! We can’t wait to see what winter-inspired dishes you cook!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

13.5 lb brisket.....am I estimating this correct?

HoosierHoosier Posts: 107
edited 2:13PM in EggHead Forum
Just picked up a beautiful 13 1/2 lb whole packer brisket. Rubbed and ready to go on in a bit. I'm guessing 20 hours if I run it at 250 dome. Would you think that's a reasonable estimate?

Pics to follow.

Comments

• BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    call it a "guesstimate"... briskets have a mind of their own....
    Kent Madison MS
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    If you need it quicker it is ok to bump up the temp to 300-350 and to foil it along the way...I do not add any juice though...good luck. :)
  • HoosierHoosier Posts: 107
    Absolutely. Just trying to figure out when I should drop this one on for dinner tomorrow.
  • Kim, do me a favor (It is the Holidays) and shoot me an email on your mini gadget that you had at the Augusta cook we did in the summer.
  • Generally when I cook a packer cut that size it takes around15 to 16 hours. Briskets are pulled sooner then butts...somewhere between 180 and 190 or so. They dry our fast if you over cook.
  • BigABigA Posts: 1,157
    I wouldnt guess anytime! I have had a 13lber done inless than 10hrs, i have had 7lbers take 12, briskets are done when they are done, thus making them really hard to master but it can be done!! :laugh:
  • BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    The good thing is when they reach the pulling point if you're early they will hold a long time in a ice chest...... if you double wrap in HDAF, then with a towel, and drop in an ice chest with a towel on top of the meat - it will hold above 140 for up to 4 hours. If I think I might need a little extra time, I heat two or three bricks (lined with HDAF) and put them in the bottom of the ice chest first... give more mass with heat...
    Kent Madison MS