Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

venison hind quarter

Options
bigOl'daddy
bigOl'daddy Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am smoking a venison hind quarter for my brother in law and i have always been very sucessful with my boston butts, but i need to know if i can put this thing on at 225 degrees and leave it over night, i dont want it to dry out..

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Gonna be tough to keep from drying out. Might want to completely wrap with bacon. I've tried it and it was ok, definitly not like pulled pork. (no fat) Please let us know how it turns out.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I would brine it and lard it as well as the bacon.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bigOl'daddy
    Options
    thanks, i actually just coated it with a pack of bacon...
  • Steeler Fan
    Options
    Some if's about drying out. If the deer was running usually tough meat. If it's dropped nice and clean, have not had problems. I live in SC and the deer season isfrom August to December.
    Anyway, I digress. I inject with Apple Juice ( not concentrate), lots of it. Use Byron's with an extra 1/2 cup of Raw Sugar. Indirect inverted place setter, fill with water, add some seasong in water 250 same as pork.
    I do place fatback on top for extra fat. If it is a little tough. Punt - chop it up, get hoagie buns and make Philly Cheese Steak samwiches out of it. Wash down with Penn Pilsner or any good micro brew.
    Good luck
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    be careful, there isnt a lot of fat in a deer so you want to play close attention, i wouldnt leave it on that long with out adding fat like bacon just like firetruck suggested. goodluck and post your results please. :)
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Never done a whole quarter, as I always cut steaks and roasts.....And I really must ask, why a whole quarter?
    Seriously, I would bone it out and get the most of each cut.
    No matter, a good rule of thumb is that a low and slow doesn't work with this meat because it is soooo lean!! I always do my steaks hot and fast....Even a backstrap is wrapped in bacon and done hot.....
    With out really knowing about doing a whole quarter....
    I would still try a hot and fast with bacon.
  • bigOl'daddy
    Options
    thanks for all the advice, the reason for the whole hind quarter was that a few years ago my brother in law took one to a local bbq restuarant and they smoked it for him and he really liked it , he just wanted me to do it to save some extra bucks, naturally i take advantage of any time i can cook for someone on the egg... Happy Holidays,,,
  • ranger ray
    Options
    best of luck... please let us know how it came out.... ray
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I've had great success taking the roast that's about the size of a softball, bit bigger, and cooked it indirect at 250 until the meat was 125 and then pulled it and wrapped in foil and into a cold cooler for a few hours. It was then sliced like deli meat and was WAY better than any Premium 12 dollar a pound roast beef you'll ever get. The color, texture and flavor are outstanding.