Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest, Table, or Built-in??

Options
SmokinParrotHead
SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Which do you have or prefer and why? I have my large on a nest and it's been there for all the years I have owned it. I roll it out of the garage when I want to cook on it and roll it back in the garage once it cools.

One thing I like about that is the Egg not being out in the weather.

However, I have been contemplating a rolling table, or even an outdoor kitchen. Anyone used all of the above and settled on one being better?

Any pics of your set-ups?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Yessir.I had a table built for my Egg.Nice one.If you NEVER wanna move it,FINE.It is now in a Nest/W/Handler and will never leave.There is a weber resting it's old home.Nests/w/handlers are the BOMB!!! ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Nest or small home built table w/ casters then some full size tables on casters for preparation and cooking.

AZRP has a picture of his setup which looks pretty darn nice and very workable.

GG
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    Working with other cookers over the years, I've found that I like a large work surface. And, I don't like the idea of leaving the egg (my precious, lovely egg :) ) out in the weather. So I built this .....

1135250409_9gNpi-M.jpg

Note that I'm more of a fit and function kind of guy as opposed to being about form and fashion. ;)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Right now I have a nest and the mates. I also still have my gasser right next to my egg and I use that as extra work surface and for storage :).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• CVDSmokeShack
    Options
    Lee;
    I had my Large and small BGE in the nest for years and it worked out just fine until a big T-storm can along one day and I had enough... so I built this and have never looked back! I always wondered what took me so long!! Go for it!

Merry Christmas

IMAG0095.jpgIMAG0097.jpgIMAG0098.jpgIMAG0102.jpg
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Wow!

I love your outdoor kitchen - backyard.

I'd take that over a nest any day!

Michael
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Chris...that's just not fair. I have big green envy :P.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
  • Metalhead
    Options
    I have 2 in nests and 1 in a table. They are all out in the weather but I keep them covered. (and chained together.....steal 1.....steal them all) ;)
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I gave this very careful consideration about a year ago. Without going to a full-blown covered-porch outdoor kitchen, I would not put the Eggs in anything larger than a nest. In the nest, I can move either Egg under the eave of the house if a sudden rain storm pops up, or in the winter when I want to minimize my time outside directly in the elements.

I built a nice granite topped table that sits between the two Eggs. It has adequate storage for all my Eggcessories and a wonderful work surface.

I would love to build an elaborate outdoor kitchen and party patio, but it's not in the budget right now.
  • Lightnin' Bolt
    Options
    We were contemplating making a big built in out door kitchen, but then decided against it as we don't know if we are staying going to stay in the house forever. We ended up buying a custom made table on casters and absolutely love it. The best thing is that if we leave, it comes with us!

IMG_0644.jpg

BTW... yes I have installed granite slab underneath the feet to protect the wood... this is an older picture.