Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'en: "Stuffed" bone in duck breast

JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This may be my last "cooked some'en" post till after Christmas. We will be visiting in laws and doing the Christmas thing which includes hunting Monday-Thursday with my Dad so Egging time is at a premium. I do want to wish each and every one of you a MERRY CHRISTMAS! We have soooooo many blessings hear at the "Lockhart's" that I can not even start to name them all. For what ever reason God has blessed me and my whole family with health, money, good food and yes even Egg friends!! ;)
We recieved many cards and well wishes from our Egg family this year and each and every one was appreciated! If you didn't get one from us don't feel bad. Not even my mama got one!! :laugh: Christmas just snuck up on us faster than normal this year. We wish the joy and happiness that this season is all about on each and every one of you and it an't no holiday season its CHRISTMAS!! ;)
Lets cook shall we? The raws:
12-17-2010003.jpg

We have been hammering some ducks this year and at 73 years old I'm tickeled the ducks are back for my Dad and Mink! That is one reason I have not been on the forum as much of late. Did some'en different with these and pulled the breast off whole like I would a quail or dove. Had to cut the wings but not hard at all. Brine for 4 hours in 3 cups water, 1/2 cup salt and 1 cup sugar.
12-20-2010018.jpg

Next I rinsed the breast and cut a slit down both halfs but not threw. Inserted a little red hot peppers in each slit and then a little white Ameriacan cheese.
12-20-2010019.jpg

Next tooth picked some bacon to each and then a little Raising the Stakes DP rub in the center.
12-20-2010022.jpg

Indirect at 250 with hickory for about an hour and half to 145 breast temp.
12-20-2010027.jpg

These things were GOOD!
12-20-2010029.jpg

Also did up some simple chops the day before that with just sea salt, cracked pepper, Red Eye and fresh rosemerry.
12-20-2010001.jpg

12-20-2010003.jpg

12-20-2010006.jpg

Once again I hope all have a wonderful Christmas and thanks for another great year!!
12-20-2010010.jpg

12-20-2010009.jpg

12-15-2010034.jpg

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Merry Christmas and best wishes to dad. I'll be happy if I can just load a gun at 73.
  • Great looking meal, JL!

Glad you and your Dad are having good times together.

It looks like my entire duck season will be a bust. I have not loaded a gun all year. No water, just mud. Without 5-8 inches of rain, it may never get water in our brake.
    Hopefully when I head up to Hoss' place in January, he might have some ducks for me to try and shoot at. :)

Merry Christmas to you all!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Deanne and to all of the Lockhart family, pets, livestock, et al.... :) :P :lol: :silly:
  • Deane, you certainly have a way with ducks!

Merry Christmas to the 'Lockhart' family and the entire menagerie! :)
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    That looks fabulous!!I have some nice ducks in the freezer from last weekend should do the trick!Thanks for the ideas.
    020-11.jpg
    015-18.jpg
  • JL,

Great cooks and pics man. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    AWESOME POST! Merry CHRISTMAS to you and yours as well. :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    JL, That is so special to hunt with your dad still, enjoy!! Food looks friggin delish!! Jealous of the ducks eats.
    A very Merry and Blessed Christmas to your family.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Merry Christmas... Fantastic post. those duck breasts are beautiful. do you spit little B-Bs out when you are eating them?

you ought to try making some duck prosciutto with a couple.

Have a great christmas ol' boy. have fun hunting with dad.

(by the way, that pic of the duck hanging in the tree may be the rawest of your raw photos!)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hey Dean,
    Enjoyed all ur cooks this year, hope you have a very Merry Xmas as will I and Teresa, those ducks looks awsome dude. Hope to cya in OKC next year.