Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Practice Pork Loin

Options
FatDog
FatDog Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Stuffed%20Pork%20Loin%20small.jpg
<p />I bought a pork loin at Sam's this afternoon and cut it into three - three pound chunks. I decided to experiment with a piece as a practice cook for Saturday's New Year's dinner with friends. I butterfly cut the loin into thirds and stuffed with dried fruit (a'la Mr. Toad) and a prepared pork stuffing. Cooked it on the small at 350 to an internal of 170 ... which I have discovered is too done. The results were excellent but I will back off on the "done" temperature to somewhere around 145 - 150.[p]The picture shows the loin just before being taken out of the egg.

Comments

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    FatDog,
    Looks great.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    FatDog,
    I think 145-150 is also going to be too done. We take ours off between 135 and 140 (closer to the 135 mark). After it rests for a short time it will be done to perfection.[p]~nikki

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    nikkig,
    Does the 135 mark work for a pork TENDER loin as well? Thanks, Paul

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    FatDog,
    Great picture by the way. Just thinking...Could your internal temp be from the stuffing? The loin will over cook well beyond 170 if the stuffing reaches 170.[p]I'm preparing several pork tenderloins a la coffee-pepper crust for our get together tonight. Shooting for 145 and then pull them off. They cool down fast so I will have a 147 if that when I rest them. [p]You did the best thing by test cooking the loin. I'm sure your BBQ will be fantastic for your party.[p]Happy New Year,
    Clay Q [p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    135 might be a little low for a tenderloin, as it does not have the mass of a loin, so the temp will not rise as much during the rest. Much under 140 is unsafe (supposedly 137), so I take my tenderloins to 145. If your guests don't mind some pink (amazing how many people freak at the sight of pink pork), then 140 is fine.[p]IMO of course! Happy New Year!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ