Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Roast

Laker
Laker Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ready to do an 8# standing rib roast for Christmas. BGE cookbook calls for rack, drip pan and direct heat. Others say indirect.

What do you say?

I think I will put it in rack at sear it at 450 for a few minutes and then cook at 300 till internal is 130.

I want to put a good sear on it.

What prep would you put on the outside.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Egg stable at 500, indirect, drip pan, put roast in and set vents for 350. Large opening on daisy closed small vents open will be 350. Pull at your desired internal temp. -RP
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Others will chime in fast but I like the reverse sear the best these days. Put that roast on your BGE indirect at 250 - 275 and then pull at below your target temp. While the meat is resting, go direct and get heat to 450 or so. Sear sides as needed.

Alton Brown rib roast and he explains the technical reasons to go with reverse sear. Also, in the video, be pretty much turns his oven into a BGE by using a giant flower pot for his roast.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/dry-aged-standing-rib-roast-with-sage-jus-recipe/index.html

I'm trying a Food & Wine recipe this year...looks and sounds wonderful.
    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/horseradish-and-herb-crusted-beef-rib-roast

Good luck
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    There has been a lot of discussion on rib roasts over the last few days.Just scroll down the forum or use the search feature.

2 good sites for info on rib roasts are:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm

and

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    If you're using a drip pan then you are cooking indirect.

I've done both a sear then roast method and a roast then sear method. I prefer the end sear myself.
  • Laker
    Thanks for all the tips.

The new BGE cookbook has you put the rack in a drip pan and then on the grid an that is a direct cook.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Do you put EVOO on your standing rib roast???? :laugh: :);)B)
  • golffer
    golffer Posts: 144
    Have done two standing in the past 4 weeks and both turned out fantastic. Lathered the outside with a horseradish mustard then salt & pepper. Be sure to pull about 6-7 degrees below your desired temp because as we all know, they will cook another 5-6 degrees while "resting". Enjoy and Merry Christmas.
  • Fidel
    I would respectfully disagree.

If you have a barrier of any sort between the lump/fire and your food, then by definition it is indirect.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the word 'direct' means one thing (which the book appears to have gotten wrong? :ermm: :huh: ): the meat is in the direct line of sight of the coals

if your meat can 'see' the lump, it is direct. if there is a barrier (even a sheet of foil is often enough) it is 'indirect'.

does the book really call it direct?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    you could. if you are roasting and not searing direct, a little oil is preferred sometimes. but there isn't a man alive (or woman) who could taste the diff between EVOO and a lower grade when used on a steak direct. ;)

that's fidel's point. he's too brutish to describe what he's thinkin, but searing with EVOO means any subtlety of the EV part is looong gone. it also burns easily, and cna produce off flavors. but if you like it, what's the harm?

still you'd save some cash using a lower grade and never know the difference.

a tuscan steak, that is swimming in olive oil, might be a different thing, but even then the EVOO has some pungent rosemary added. save EVOO for tasting (with bread, in light salads, etc.). it's differences will be lost in most other applications where it is merely another ingredient
  • Fidel
    Brutish?

Just because I'm not some fancy artsy-smartsy uppity yankee dweeb who's always posting "hey everybody, look at my bacon" and "look at my fancy pumpkin" and all the other self-serving BS you post here doesn't give you the right to judge me.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Being a yankee gives him the right to judge anyone...that is what we do, I mean we are better than everyone else...and we are faster too. :lol: Isn't that why everyone in the South hates us Northerners....or is it somehting else?
  • Laker
    Okay, direct, indirect - I get your definitions. The BGE cookbook always starts and lists what is needed for each recipe. And when they list a plate setter, then they also say cook indirect.

I will agree with all of you on your points, and I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Now, back to the cook. I have done a number of Cowboy cut Ribeyes, which are actually mini roasts and my plan for this standing rib is going to be similar. Except, I like the reverse sear method and I think I will give it a try.

Indirect with inverted plate setter and drip pan with Apple juice.

Apple smoke,

A little rub on the ends and then a mixture of Worcestershire, minced garlic, minced fresh rosemary salt, kosher salt, and black pepper overall.

Place rib roast on grid at 250 and slow cook for about 30 minutes / pound or until internal is 115. I will be doing 8#, but I cut them in half because we always enjoy the end pieces, so 2 hours should be close.

Remove and rest and crank up the heat to 500+ return to grid and sear.

Any suggestions, thought and constructive criticisms will be accepted.
    Thanks
  • at the temperature of 300, how many minutes of cooking time per lb does it take to get to an internal temperature of 130 (medium rare)on an 8+ lb standing rib

Thank You
  • Thank You, can I figure 20 minutes per lb at 300 to get to an internal temperature of 125 - 130
  • stike
    i meant brutish as in "manly", not dimwitted and ox-like. i mean, your being a dimwitted ox is merely a coincidence.

hey mang... merry christmas. give my best to your wife. also, tell her to not text me so much over the holiday, i will be around the wife and kids and her texts can be pretty racy. i'll talk to her in the new year....
  • stike
    you didn't offend anyone. no problem. i was serious when i said that it was odd if the BGE cookbook listed it as a direct cook. no worries though. your plan sounds fine.

(just fyi... you might be reading in flat view, where everyone's posts come in in chrono order. some of us are habitually in 'classic' view, and our replies look to us as though they are directly made to someone else.

all that means is that in "classic view", when i refer to someone as a fathead, ignorant, rednecked stooge, we can all see it is Fidel i'm talking about. someone in 'flat view' might think it was referring to whomever's post was above me.

just to be safe, assume all derogatory comments and insults are intended for fidel. they usually are
  • Hey!

They could be directed to me too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    Bringing my family into this is going to far. You're still upset that I kissed your wife so you start this crap in a public forum.

I'm done with this thread. Don't bother replying because I won't be reading any more of your crap.
  • stike
    well. at least those regarding fidel acknowledge his lurking, hulking, lumbering nature. when they are directed towards you steven they generally involve things like "dwarf", "gnome", and references to papa smurf.
  • stike
    this is a peaceful time of year, rod. we should shake hands and let bygones be bygones, at least for the season. some time in 2011 we can resume, and i'll remind you that you kissed her when you were drunk, and she merely tolerated it because she could tell by your high shiny forehead that you hadn't really ever kissed a woman before.

but for now, i'll just say she says "hello" and wishes you the best.
  • Thanks,

Hate to be left out. Saw your Christmas card and it looks great. Did the girdle hurt?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    hahaha
    not so much. i will fed ex it back to you after the holidays. i have a few cocktail parties to go to

i will launder it before shipping it back
  • Please don't wash it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I cook low and slow indirect then sear at the end.

To me 275F until about 20degrees below desired. remove the platesetter/pizza stone, and open the egg up wide open. (I uses a spider and cast iron grid). Do a direct sear at high temp to get to 10degrees below desired.. Pull set on a warmed platter or wooden cutting board and tent. It will keep cooking...Probably 15 min to increase the last 10 degrees... Myself I leave a temp sensor in while it is tented so I can find the exact time to slice.. I like MR so end temp is 125-130..though most people like a little more so end temp is 135-140 or so... I cringe at cooking it more than 140 final temp....

This is my way and I will do it on a 10lb'er on 25'th for 8 people....

Merry Christmas.
  • Laker
    Super! Thanks for a helpful answer of your experience. I will follow your plan. Thanks again there always are some people who step up with great info.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.
  • Count on roughly 20min/lb..and remember cook to temp not based on time...

Good luck..
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    You guys crack me up! :lol:
  • stike wrote:
    i meant brutish as in "manly", not dimwitted and ox-like..

Funny, I can never see the word "brutish," without thinking "nasty, brutish, and short." Maybe that was your intent. ;)
  • Salmonegg,

Hey, leave the short out of this. This is Fidel abuse, Little Steven abuse is a few posts down.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON