Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Briskett, high temp

Options
James
James Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone.[p]I just put a briskett on. It was about 300 when I put it on, which I figureed would drop to about ~250. I came back an hour or 2 later, and the dome temp was ~500.[p]WTF? This was with the combo top closed, but lots of smoke was coming out of the side. I suppose that it might not have been closed good. I'm a bit destraught. I think the briskett might be ruined. I should take an internal temp, but I'm almost afaid to.[p]Whatever happened, It is clearly my fault for not paying attention....[p]

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    James,
    I would like to put my 2¢ worth in (thanks PAKAK) but the smoke out the side doubled me up. I will shut up and look.

• James
    Options
    James,[p]
    I doubt we will be eating briskett tomorrow. I don't know why the egg is so hot. anyway, it's on there. It's at about ~400 now, which is still way too hot. It was only ~300 when I put it on..... I think. Hoever, earlier, I was cleaning it all at high temp, so, I could be mistaken about the temps. I'll let you all know how the briskettt works out.[p]

• James
    Options
    sigmore,[p]Yes, I think that I semi-closed the top on the fat side of the briskett which left a big opening, which raised the temp.[p]bummer.[p]I fixed it, and now the temp is normal. Hopefully all is not lost...[p]Thanks.[p]
  • Sigmore
    Options
    James,
    Thanks, I feel like I have grajiated BGE newbie college now!! I can now speek with ATHORITIE!! As Cartman would say. ;=]

• James
    Options
    sigmore,[p]
    Are you by any chance a Farker? or even a Total Farker? You write like one. I am a TFerr.... My name is z_gringo.[p]

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    James,[p]Did you check the internal temp? [p]You also might want to consider wrapping it in foil...??? Anyone else weigh in on the foil idea?
  • Sigmore
    Options
    James,
    I am more like Mr Hankie. AAYEEE!

• James
    Options
    Steve-B,[p]thanks.[p]It's too soon. I just put it on. I've now closed the vents, and am waiting for a drop in the temp. I may pull it off until the temp drops, or I may just wait. I haven't decided yet....[p]

• Steve-B
    Options
    James,[p]What I was thinking of was a discussion from this summer about 6-8 hour briskets. I can't find any of the posts in the archives, but I think Car Wash Mike (?) does his this way. It think it starts higher than normal for a couple of hours than is wrapped in foil for the rest of the time to about 190 degrees internal. I am having a hard time remembering any details at all about these posts. Mad Max tried it (I think?) and a couple of others posted their results. [p]Sorry to everyone....I can't remember any names or techniques on this one. I never got around to doing it myself.[p]Steve-B[p]Steve-B
  • Steve-B
    Options
    Okay, I found it. I had some details right and others wrong. Here is the link for you to take a look at. I don't know if it will help, but might provide you some ideas for you situation. [p]
    [ul][li]Mad Max's "Tale of the 5 hour brisket" link [/ul]
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    "(thanks PAKAK)"[p]Okay, I'm not sure what I did or said, Is this a good thing or bad? I'm confused, as usual. Care to elaborate?

• Sigmore
    Options
    Pakak,
    How soon people forget all the help they give. ®,©,¢, Remember? You have created a monster. ;)

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    sigmore,[p]Oh, ok. No, I didn't remember who that was. LOL You know, I'll be turning 52 in just a few days. That's pretty ancient. LOL Glad you're amused!
  • Sigmore
    Options
    Pakak,
    No sweat, I'm 51 myself. I wear age like a badge, a lot of folks don't make it this far. It get's harder every year to scratch off another one. Beers and a Happy New Year to you.