Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spiral cut ham internal temp

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a spiral cut ham as a gift. I just did a search and have read through at least ten threads on this topic. They all seem say the same thing - it is precooked so only go to 140 internal otherwise it will dry out.

My question is if it is fully pre-cooked why even go to 140? Seems like pulling it at 120 would certainly be warm enough and less drying out. Am I missing something? BTW, there will be no glaze per my family's wishes if that makes a difference.

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I would think if it is FULLY PRECOOKED you could eat it as is.Just heat it to the point you are confortable.ALL pork is safe to eat(according to the VERY CONSERVATIVE USDA at 145F)It may be because it will cool off too quick if you don't get it hot enough.I guess you could always reheat it. :huh: ;)
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Hi Freddie, I know you said your family does not want a glaze but we tried Egret's Maple Bourbon paste on a spiral pre-cooked ham this weekend and it was out of this world. It did not take us 5 hours to heat. It was at 142 in 3 hours.

I promise they will like it....

10-12# ham, cooked (Bone-in butt or shank section)

½ - 1 cup Maple Syrup – pure (for injection)

cherry and apple chunks for smoking (we used pecan)

MAPLE-BOURBON PASTE :
    2 tablespoons Maple Syrup - pure
    2 tablespoons Black pepper
    2 tablespoons Dijon or Honey-Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon Bourbon
    1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
    1 tablespoon Paprika
    1 tablespoon Onion Powder
    2 teaspon Kosher salt

1. The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it). Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before
    cooking).

Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid.

Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    skihorn: Yes, it is fully cooked. Technically you can carve off a slice right out of the package. Question is, do you want to eat cold ham? I suggest bringing it to 135*, it will carry to 140*. It won't be dry, and it will feel hot, or at least warm to the mouth.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I take it to 145° so it isn't cold and to get some extra smoke flavor it the ham. I also inject with 8 oz grade B maple - that is as much of the 8 oz as I can get in. I use cherry wood and this ham comes out better than Honey Baked Hams.

Here is a link to the way I do it.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=787131&catid=1

Egret's is great as is Alton Brown's (food network) method.

Don't forget to save the bone and small parts for soup. Those are as good as the ham itself.

It's an easy re-heat and so rewarding.

GG
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Eggzactly. :) Merry Christmas to you and YOURS! :)
  • skihorn
    Options
    Thanks for the input everybody. I definitely want some smoke flavor (probably use apple) but I am going to err on the under side to keep it moist. Probably pull about 130. You guys gave me the courage to try that. That would seem to have it plenty hot for the taste. Of course, that assumes that the timing is right and it isn't done too early. Always tricky with company. I will be doing a turkey also but I think I've got that one down.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    140 F. is a good temp. to slice and serve. I like my hot food hot and my cold food cold, so that's the only reason I take my ham to 140 F.
    As for smoke-wood: Apple will give you a milder flavor (smoke for sure), but, if I may, I would suggest trying some maple of hickory. I personally think you will like that flavor more so than the apple....
    Just my 2 cents.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    It will still be moist at 140*...guaranteed. ;)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's safe to eat cold. go order a ham sandwich ;) at a deli.

precooked, you heat it so that it will be warm. even an uncooked (but cured ham) does not need to be heated. an uncooked cured ham you heat it for texture and to warm it, not for safety.

fresh or green ham is uncured. it's a roast. cook it so that you get the cooked texture, so that it is warm AND so that it is safe

cured but uncooked is still safe. prosciutto anyone? that's room temperature uncooked meat. no need to heat cured ham unless you prefer it warm..

cured and precooked ham is reheated for warmth only, and even then, yes, cold ham is delicious.

there was a guy asking the other day if his ham is still safe to eat because he cooked it a week ago. why can a ham hang at room temp for 18 months, yet suddenly go bad after three days in the fridge? anyone? maybe cross contamination, but sheesh, how nervous are we americans about this stuff.

:laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if its an expensive honey baked spirals you just need to warm it, they recommend not cooking them at all but will give directions to cook to 140 if you must. the cheaper ones ill bring uo to maybe 130, i like to sit those in some warmed up juice and baste them, even laying them on there side and rotating them right in the juice as they cook. i try to avoid the spirals but some years its all i find when i need a ham
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • skihorn
    Options
    Lots of good input. Thanks to everyone!

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I don't know about others but personally, I do lose a substantial amount of sleep over it

Steve 

Caledon, ON