Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drying Poultry

Options
SmokinParrotHead
SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have heard several folks say that they "dry" their birds or bone-in breasts for several days by leaving them unwrapped, uncovered in the fridge for 24 to 48 hours. I have two turkey breasts sitting in the fridge now in a pyrex baking dish, completely unwrapped and uncovered.

Who else does it this way?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    It's a technique several cooks use to try and make the skin crisp.Some also dust with cornstarch before cooking.It is supposed to soak up the skin fat renderings as it cooks.The idea behind the fridge is a fridge has lo humidity(?) and a fan running to circulate air so it draws out or drys out the skin before cooking( why stuff you don't want dried out has to be in some type container).The Eggs have such great moisture retention that it is hard to get crisp poultry skin when cooking on them without cooking direct and risking burning the skin.JM $.02.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    I do, uually 24 hrs.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Ditto on Hoss's explaination.... ;)
    I'm not "right on" with how long I have it in the fridge, but it's an over-nighter.
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    When i have time or remember to do it I leave whole chickens in the fridge uncovered over night. It dries out the skin, making it nice and crisp. Once the skin on your bird goes sort of translucent your good to go. I have never done it for more than 24 hrs in advance though.