Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Options
GaDawg
GaDawg Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking some ribs tomorrow for some friends. I am using a large gbe. I need some help on temps, how long should I cook them and any other suggestion that might help. I have read some posts but this is the first time I have posted a question on this forum.[p]Thanks in advance for any help.[p]gadawg

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    gadawg,
    Are they baby back ribs (loin back ribs) or are they spare ribs?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    gadawg,[p]I cook my spares at 250 dome temp indirect for about 4 hours
    then wrap in foil for another hour. Then I cut them with a very sharp knife (sharpened by my Sharpmaker) and eat them.[p]I do use a placesetter, rib rack, and drip pan and I never touch them during the first 4 hours.[p]I do pull the membrane, rub with mustard and generously coat with a good rib rub.[p]Good luck. They turn out fantastic!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Baby back Ribs

• David
    David Posts: 97
    Options
    gadawg,[p]I watched the video that came with my egg and some dude cooked baby backs for 2 hours at 350 and they looked great. I just tried tonight it and they were great! Here are the details....[p]I cook them at 350 dome temp indirect for 2 hours 15 minutes[p]I do use a placesetter, rib rack, and drip pan.[p]I do pull the membrane, then rub with yellow mustard and generously coat with a good rib rub. Let them sit in the fridge for a few hours this way before cooking. I also soak some hickory chips and toss them in the egg for flavor. Ribs were falling off the bone. The yellow mustard + rub gave them a great crust.[p]See Steve Raichlen's book the Barbeque Bible for a great rub recipe (called Memphis Dry Rub) - I cut the cayanne in 1/2 - still spicy - but they dont make you cry after each bite.[p]Good luck. [p]
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    ribs1.JPG
    <p />gadawg,
    I wasn't happy with my ribs until I got a plate setter and started using it. At the same time I started spritzing with apple juice every 20 min during the cook.[p]I cook (on a large) at 240 with a plate setter, drip pan, and rib rack.[p]I remove the membrane, rub with mustard and a basic rub. I don't foil, and eat them dry.[p]Here's a movie I made showing the process.[p]Good luck![p]Chuck

[ul][li]cookin' baby backs - avi movie (download first then play, 4MB)[/ul]
  • Eggsellent
    Options
    chuckls,
    Impressive movie! Thanks for sharing.