Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip with Chimichurri Sauce

KC Transplant
KC Transplant Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I spent the past week in Puerto Rico where the wife and I had grilled skirt steak with chimichurri sauce on it. We both fell in love with the taste of the beef married to the sauce. So, we decided to try to recreate only with a different cut....tri-tip.

I loosely based my Tri Tip off of Morro Bay Rich's recipe. I then found a decent sounding chimichurri sauce and blended it up.

I'd also like to report this was my first time grilling in low 30 degree weather!!

Tritipwchimichurri.jpg

Comments

• Perfectly done tri-tip and the sauce that I love! I can taste it from here. Great job!

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Thanks Judy!

We did two 1.5 pound tri-tips. Hopefully the leftovers tomorrow night will be as good as it was tonight.
  • Gotta love it all!
    Hope you marinated the steak in some sauce before grilling,too :)
  • Looks Great,

Here is my favorite Chimichurri,

½ cup olive oil
    ¼ cup red wine vinegar
    ¼ cup of water
    ½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
    1 medium onion finely chopped
    4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
    ½ red bell pepper diced and finely chopped
    1 tomato seeded and finely chopped
    1 tab dried oregano
    1 tab paprika
    1 tsp bay leaf very small flakes
    1 tab salt
    1 tsp of pepper
    crushed hot pepper flakes to taste

You can mix it all together but I prefer to go through a 3-step process while preparing the sauce.
    Make sure all of the fresh ingredients are well washed and clean before preparing.
    Add all of the ingredients except the oil and vinegar into a large bowl and toss well to make sure that the salt is spread evenly around the ingredients. Allow to rest for 30 minutes.
    Next add the vinegar and water. Mix well. Allow to rest for 30 minutes.
    Finally add the oil and mix well. Make sure that the liquids cover the rest of the ingredients. If not add equal parts of oil, water, and vinegar until they are covered at least by a quarter of an inch. Transfer to a non-reactive clean bowl or jar that can be covered. Make sure to cover well. Place in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to blend overnight. For better results prepare at least 2 or 3 days ahead of time.
  • Is that then put thru a blender, after the overnight, to sauce it?
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    I love the colors on the plate and as said looks cooked to perfection! Sure could use some of that Carrabian warmth now! :whistle:
  • I think chimichurri is one of the most perfect accompaniments to steak. I have two that I like.

Looks like yours turned out excellent, so Christmasy too with all the green and red ;)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • No if you chop it fine enough it will be fine.
  • Desert Oasis Woman wrote:
    Gotta love it all!
    Hope you marinated the steak in some sauce before grilling,too :)

I didn't use any marinade (or baste as Morro Bay Rich did) though I may try that next time.
  • skyhopsing wrote:
    Looks Great,

Here is my favorite Chimichurri,

½ cup olive oil
    ¼ cup red wine vinegar
    ¼ cup of water
    ½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
    1 medium onion finely chopped
    4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
    ½ red bell pepper diced and finely chopped
    1 tomato seeded and finely chopped
    1 tab dried oregano
    1 tab paprika
    1 tsp bay leaf very small flakes
    1 tab salt
    1 tsp of pepper
    crushed hot pepper flakes to taste

You can mix it all together but I prefer to go through a 3-step process while preparing the sauce.
    Make sure all of the fresh ingredients are well washed and clean before preparing.
    Add all of the ingredients except the oil and vinegar into a large bowl and toss well to make sure that the salt is spread evenly around the ingredients. Allow to rest for 30 minutes.
    Next add the vinegar and water. Mix well. Allow to rest for 30 minutes.
    Finally add the oil and mix well. Make sure that the liquids cover the rest of the ingredients. If not add equal parts of oil, water, and vinegar until they are covered at least by a quarter of an inch. Transfer to a non-reactive clean bowl or jar that can be covered. Make sure to cover well. Place in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to blend overnight. For better results prepare at least 2 or 3 days ahead of time.

Here is what I used:

1 cup (packed) fresh Italian parsley
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup (packed) fresh cilantro
    3 garlic cloves, peeled
    3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt

I put it all into a blender and let it go!!

If I could remember the website, I'd paste it. I was searching for one that sounded good and happened upon the one above.

I'll save yours into my recipe file on my hard drive and give it a shot next time. It looks like yours will have a little more kick!!
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Great looking tri-tip. I don't recall ever tasting the chimichurri sauce. Looks great!

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX