Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying a brisket ?

Options
SmokinJ
SmokinJ Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,

I buy my briskets at Restaurant Depot. I get the what they call superior.I guess prime . It costs only ten cents more a pound than choice. I thought superior was better but I read somewhere last week that choice is usually jucier than the prime for brisket.I thought prime is supposed to better than choice. Any input would be appeciated.

Thanks

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    the RD superior brand is just RD's house brand. I would not assume it to be prime grade. My hunch is it is choice grade. If it is prime grade, I'm thinking RD would have that in big bold letters on the package. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    Options
    Thanks. I think your right, it seems to inexpensive to be a prime cut. But the choice is right next to the superior. I'll have to ask next them the difference when I go down next time.
  • willrev
    Options
    I bought my first "packer" brisket last week. It said "USDA" Choice. It had the thick fat cap and was 12 pounds. It was my first one on the egg. I made two Texans at work cry and two other Texans gave a North Carolina boy between A- and A on the brisket.

I put it in a pan and soaked overnight in 2 liters of regular coke. I patted it dry. Rubbed with a mix of salt, coarse cracked pepper, and red crushed pepper. Light on the red pepper. Rub had a few teaspoons of garlic powder and turbinado sugar. I smoked it for 7 hours over oak and hickory chunks. I cut up an oak log into chunks and layered the lump with smoke wood in alternate layers. I put the plate setter with legs up and an drip pan to catch drippings. I mopped hourly with a mix of dark Yuengling Porter beer, stick of butter and cajun seasoning. At 165 I wrapped it with two layers of foil and left another four hours. THen wrapped in pool towels and into the cooler for two more hours and it was the most tender piece of meat and juicy too. No dryness at all.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Look at that back and see if it is stamped USDA Choice. Most meat has to be stamped/labeled the grade. Prime is red letter and choice is blue. RD does get both but it varies by location. Prime will probably be at least $1.00 more per lb. I think CAB meat is only ones that dont get a stamp because they are all of the same grade/program.