Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breakfast for Dinner- SSN686 sausage roll

Options
SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The wife and kids requested this for dinner last night. Once again it was outstanding.

We also threw together some taters. They were supposed to be like hashbrowns- but he wife got red taters. They were quite good...but just not "breafasty".

I browned the sausage on a CI skillet in the egg. Removed the skillet from the egg and put the foil pan of taters on with the egg about 375-400. I then prepared the roll in the bundt pan and placed the bundt pan over the pan o taters using a roasting rack like so:

IMG_0574.JPG

...the taters got about a 10-15 minute head start on the roll.

Took everything off the egg about 40 minutes later and then put the taters back in the CI skillet to brown up in the sausage grease :P

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

Too good!

The taters in the pics are actually not done enough. I ended up cooking them longer. I will definitely try again- but next time I'll use russet potatoes and give them more of a head start. I thought about cooking the potatoes on in the CI skillet on the egg, but I'm afraid they will burn on the bottom.

Thanks again to SNS686 for this recipe!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    cool! breakfast for dinner is one of our all time fav's!
    context is important :)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I have never heard of such a thing. That looks so good. Went ahead and looked up the recipe and printed it out so i can try it. One question tho, it says a 1lb loaf of frozen bread dough, thawed. I am not sure I have ever seen a loaf of frozen bread dough. Is there a certain brand. Could I just use a refrigerated bread dough, like Pilsbury? And if so, what kind of bread....white, italian, french, etc? Thanks for sharing that with us. I'm gonna try it soon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Hi Griffin,

Here is the dough I use:

2010-12-20%2010.17.30.jpg

I had not heard of it either before I went looking for it to do this recipe :). I found it at Kroger next to some other frozen dinner rolls. There are 5 loaves, each is 1 lb.

The refrigerated bread like Pillsbury might work just fine but I haven't tried those.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    One other tip- if you use the frozen dough you typically thaw it in the refrigerator. Let the dough sit at room temperature for a while so that you can roll it. It is also best to thaw overnight in the fridge. So- into the fridge the night before, then out on the counter an hour or so before you want to prepare.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for that.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    looks very good!