Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Summer Sausage vs Old Fashion Bologna

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I am making some Summer Sausage using High Mountain Kit. I got to looking and saw the kit also had instructions for Old Fashion Bologna

Looking at the Seasoning/Cure instructions between the Summer Sausage & Baloney for 3# and it surprised me to see there was no different in the seasoning/cure mix.

The only difference in the meat mixture was that out of 3 pounds of total meat the Old Fashioned Bologna only had 4oz less beef.

For the SS instructions say to use 2# + 4oz of ground beef of venison. For the bologna it is 2# beef 1 # pork, both medium grind twice and smoking instructions both the same.

Would 4 oz out of a total of 3 pounds make any difference in the taste/texture between Summer Sausage and Bologna?

With that little difference I can't see much reason to even try making the Bologna.

GG

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Make some LONEY and we will get you into the court and maybe call you Grandpa Loney Maker!! Happy Holidays.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Yeah,

You cure it then put it in a blender on liquefy, add some hideous organs and pancreases, pig noses, gelatin and lard and pour it into a red plastic tube. Immerse in simmering water for four days and chill. Dat's some good eats. Where's Hoss?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I bought both the SS and OFB kits.I too realized the fact after making my first batch of SS that the only difference is the pork/beef ratio.I guess I'll make a batch of the OFB now and see which one I like better and go that route with the rest of the seasoning.Someone said on here that they did not care for the HM 'Loney and posted a link to a place in Pennsylvania that had a seasoning that they prefered but I did'nt bookmark it and now I can't find it. :( My question was similar to yours but I was wondering why make summersausage when you can have 'Loney instead!!! :laugh: ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Oh, great!

Happy Holidays back Richard.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Not quite what I was thinking of... :laugh:

Kent
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Kent,

That was not directed at you. I have worked in places that made Loney :sick:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Hoss wrote:
    :( My question was similar to yours but I was wondering why make summersausage when you can have 'Loney instead!!! :laugh: ;)

:woohoo: :woohoo:

I have done the HM SS several times and it is really good. I guess I need to look into the others and give them a try. It is odd that the difference would only be 4oz. Maybe it is just an advertising thing so they could put both on the package.

Goin looney trying to figure out the looney.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I thought it was funny. All those pieces and parts make me wonder. I used beef and port (butt) when doing the summer sausage. I am not sure if I want to know what is in the commercial stuff or even in hot dogs. I would think hot dogs are just small bologna chubs :).

I hope things are going well and Merry Christmas.

Kent
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Kent,

It was 30 years ago when I worked in those places and I'm sure it is more tightly controlled now but the short answer is..no you don't.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Options
    High Mountain is decent but I've always preferred a company out of Ohio called LEM. They have a bunch of great stuff and their trail 'loney is out of this world. In fact, I'm going to be doing a big batch of it later this week.

Question for the experts: if I make 25 pounds of venison 'loney (mixed at a 4:1 ratio with ground pork butt) can I be a affiliated with the 'loney court?
  • Hoss
    Options
    Well,since I am currently in possession of the Offical 'Loney Badges.I'll say SURE! WE would LOVE to have you join our motley crew! :woohoo:
  • Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Options
    :woohoo:

I'll document my cook later this week and post. And if the position isn't already taken, might I apply for Sergeant at Arms? I have LOTS of weapons and dogs.... :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Options
    SWEET! :) Post pics of them too! ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

With that small amount of beef mixture (4oz) I can't imagine there would be any difference in flavor between the two.

I will look into the LEM. I haven't tried any of their spices. It appears their equipment is re-labeled. I think it was Ranger Ray that said the Cabella stuffer was able to have a motor attached to it. I have a LEM stuffer and a Cabella grinder.

GG
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I look forward to seeing your post. Tim ;)