Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

no salt jerky help

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,748
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
need a jerky recipe thats low salt or no salt, low phosphorous, should be low protein for the dogs diet, not crazy about the low protein as my dog needs to eat. found duck jerkey without salt, dont know how any, ideas. dog eats the duck jerkey, not much else, been about 14 days with not eating much, a chihuahua wouldnt last with what he is eating. kidney failure, glomerulonephritis, got him thru a few hurtles, now its eating, any ideas with saltlesss dried anything. he is on blood pressure medicine, was over 200, now down to 110 where it belongs, cant have salt. eats the dried duck, wont eat dry fried shave steak or cicken without force. screams for dried duck, any ideas
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Years ago we had a problem with our male Chow; he had a very loose bowl. We believed it was due to the female being dominate and he was always on edge. While he was twice her size as an adult, he was only a little pup when we got him as she was 9 months older; thus the domination. When this bowel issue came up, the Vet recommended a diet of chicken and rice. We cooked a big pot of chicken and rice and feed it to them both; couldn't feed her dry dog dog food and given him the good stuff. She would have been all over him. Bottom line is that they both ate like pigs. Heck, even I ate some of that before giving it to the dogs.
    Boil the chicken and remove the bones; then add the rice. No seasonings.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Fishless: Sorry to hear of your troubles...but why does it have to be jerky?? As Mikee said, I often boil a bird or piece of fish with brown rice AND veggies (carrot, celery, or whatever is hanging out in the fridge)...they go nuts for it! I make enough for 3-4 days, then a brief re-heat (just to take the chill off) in the microwave, and they go nuts!! And...errr...ummm...I am talking about cats. (My Vet thinks both me, and my cats, are insane...lol) I imagine a dog would be even more grateful!! Again, why only Jerky? Or perhaps I mis-read....(done that before!) :blush:
  • fishlessman
    Options
    been doing chicken rice, boiled hamburg and sweet potatoes, chicken tenders, steak tips, shaved steak, raw fish heads, everything he used to eat, seems to only wants the duck jerkey. at this point its about calorie intake and he needs to eat. salt is no good with his blood pressure. the chicken rice is good, but i have to forsce it down chunk after chunk. he seems to be doing better except the eating, fished ten hours on the ice with him today
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    only thing he readily eats is dogswell duck breast breathies, everything else he only takes a few small pieces by hand then its open mouth and drop it in and hold mouth til he swallows.
    fukahwee maine

• Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Options
    Any time our dogs are sick the go to is boiled chicken thighs and white rice. But it sounds like your pup isn't willing to take that.

We did have one yellow female who refused to eat so we did boiled chicken livers. She actually did really well on those. If your dog is digging the dried duck treats, you could try chicken liver (obviously not cured in salt.) Maybe try a big batch of liver slow smoked for a couple of hours and then chopped up??

Edit to add: I have done this no-salt jerky recipe with venison before and it was pretty decent
    http://www.cookingcache.com/appetizr/cliffsfantasticjerky.shtml?rdid=rc1