Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef tenderloin

Options
eggsrgreat
eggsrgreat Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found whole beef tenderloins at the local store today for $3.99 lb. Has anyone cooked a whole tenderloin on the egg. Any suggestions? It's 4.4 lbs.

Comments

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Careful with that price it may be Australian. Be sure to get US Choice or Prime. I just season and cook raised direct, not. Don't let it get dry.
  • eggsrgreat
    Options
    Ok, so I've got to ask. What's the deal with Australian beef, and how would you know?
  • ranger ray
    Options
    good question!.... rr
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    My local market carries Aussie beef. It is far inferior to US beef. It is labeled. Look for the label or ask. Nicknamed Kangaroo meat. Awful.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I am a big fan of cooking whole beef tenderloin. I have even cooked one directly on the coals with the "bar towel" method.

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/08/lomo-al-trapo.html

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/09/peppered-beef-tenderloin-with.html

That being said, I would seriously check out the details because that is almost half of the lowest price I've ever paid per pound. It's one of those "sounds too good to be true" deals.

If it checks out, I'd buy every one they had and freeze the rest of them :woohoo:
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    It must be cutter grade.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Make sure it is AT LEAST CHOICE grade.Beef tenderloins are usually a LOT pricier than that.I got roped into buying low priced tenderloins once.They were AWFUL,I wound up grinding em up and mixing with other meats to make sausage.Be CAREFUL! ;)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Select is sold up here for 3.99

when you are talking tenderloin, the grades deal more with yield than fat. I mean, the best possible tenderloin will still have next to no marbling

I'd defy anyone to discern the diff between a 'prime' and 'select' tenderloin roast. But you sure can tell by looking at the whole tenderloin

a select tenderloin will be thinner, often accidentally cut in two, the thin end often massacred.... A choice will yield a nice 3 pound roast, five or six nice thick uniform steaks, a few smaller filets that can be rounded by girding with some bacon to form the round shape, and only few tips.

A select will give you a two pound roast, three or four steaks, and the rest useless but for tips.

I have seen some crazy marbling of the tenderloin on the loin end of a porterhouse, but I haven't ever seen it in a whole tenderloin for some reason
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hoss
    Options
    I asked the "butcher" what grade they were.He would NOT answer.He said "Those were not graded".BULL$HI..!All beef is graded.A decent choice tenderloin around here can be bought "on sale" for $10/lb. sometimes.UNTRIMMED.
  • stike
    Options
    Doesn't mean they are cutter.

Select is fairly common at 3.99/lb

loss leader

tenderloin is for the crowd, not the connoiseur anyway. Kinda like complaining about white Zinfandel not being chilled enough :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Options
    I agree.It's a girl cut.OOOOH,it's Sooo tender! :laugh: B)
  • stike
    Options
    I buy them every now and then. If I can get choice, great.

What we do is slice them 3/4" thick and treat them as burgers, between a bun.

That said, I had some recently at a party where it was a whole tenderloin of exceptional size. They did it slow with garlic and some simple salt and pepper and it was quite a nice thing to eat at a cocktail party.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Girly finger food.I again agree. ;)
  • Ted
    Ted Posts: 5
    Options
    I am grilling an 8 lb beef tenderloin for Christmas Dinner, What is the best set up, just a v holder on a drip pan directly on the grill
    or use the plater legs up as a smoker.
    What temp and how long?
    Thanks
    Ted