Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What am I doing wrong?

Options
Eggcellent
Eggcellent Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love good BBQ chicken. I don't mean heavily sauced chicken. Just good grilled/charcoal flavor (not hickory or mesquite). The chicken often has a charred skin which I don't usually eat but does seem to help keep the chicken moist. I have never been able to recreate this taste. I'm thinking spatchcock and direct would be the chosen methoc? If anyone has some secret they are willing to share I would be very greatful.

Comments

• MichiganEgg
    Options
    I do all my chicken on the egg. (spatchcock - direct) it always comes out melt in your mouth moist. I prefer a good coat of Sweet Baby Ray’s on the outside but not so much as to over do the chicken. Most of the time I cook them at 300 or so until done.

Try a good coating of your favorite rub prior to putting it on and then a coat of BBQ when it’s just about done.

Don’t be stingy with the Seasoned Salt!

For a real treat, pull it from the grill when it’s done and wrap it in some foil with beer and set it back on with the draft and damper closed for a half hour.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I do like MichiganEgg except 400 and high in the dome. Never turn and cook skin side up direct.
    I do leave in fridge overnight uncovered and do not oil.
    I like coffee rub or ButtRub and if any sauce will use Bone Sucking at the very end.
    I always spatchcock.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options
    Eggcellent,

This is what I've been doing lately and I prefer it to any other method.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=971052&catid=1

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I prefer high heat indirect.450 or so. the fridge rest and cornstarch dusting don't hurt either. :)