Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

45 day prime rib epilogue

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
From this tease posted the other day:
IMG_1914.jpg

I hot tubbed this chunk for 70 minutes and then hit it with kosher salt plus a dry mustard based home made rub that we love on prime rib.
IMG_1926.jpg

After about 30 minutes on a 330° fire indirect it hit 127° internal, so I removed, left my fire go ballistic and returned the meat to a brief 15/15/15/15 tickle in the flames.
IMG_1930.jpg

I let it sit for 10 minutes and then sliced it open to reveal these perfect medium rare halves.
IMG_1932.jpg

This was a delightful prime rib meal - fork tender and so tasty. Even the rub merged with the seared outer aged rind was so wonderful! By and far 45 days is my minimum aging benchmark!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Wow! That looks incredible. I have a small prime rib about that size aging in the fridge. But it is only getting 10 days, not 45, so I know it won't be as tender. Would you share the rub recipe?
  • RRP
    Options
    I'm happy to share the rub as well as the au jus I served with it.

RRP’s Prime Rib Rub – Though it’s not really mine!
    As for a rub I love this one. I just wish I knew where I got it so as to give proper credit as it is not my formulation! It's terrific on prime rib…with this rub seared on the outside and then the rare tasty meat on the inside!
    This quantity will make enough rub for a 2.5 pound boneless prime rib.

1 T ground (dry) mustard
    1.5 tea table salt
    0.5 tea paprika
    .25 tea ground allspice
    .25 tea fresh ground pepper
    1 tea granulated onion powder
    0.5 tea garlic powder
    Wet prime rib with Worcestershire and apply rub. Because I like more salt I also sprinkle it with coarse Kosher salt as well.

RRP's Au Jus Recipe

Basic recipe off internet which I tweaked 7 times so it's mine!

1 14 oz can Swanson Beef Broth
    1 10-1/2 ounce can of Campbell's French Onion soup
    ½ of the soup can cold water
    ½ teaspoon white sugar
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    ½ teaspoon of garlic salt
    2 Wyler’s brand beef bouillon cubes
    Bring ingredients to a boil in saucepan, letting it boil for 1 minute then
    strain and discard onions. Serve au jus dipping sauce hot. Can be made 2
    days ahead. Makes 3 cups.

PS this au jus also makes a terrific Bloody Boar!
    IMG_1719.jpg
  • eggsrgreat
    Options
    So, I'm new to this aging meat business. What do you mean hot tubbed, and how do you age in the fridge. I have a food saver. I noticed you had it in a food saver bag.
  • RRP
    Options
    Hot tubbing and aging gets plenty of talk here so I'll be kinda brief, but first of all let's start with your last statement. Yes, that was a Food Saver bag that I had frozen the piece of meat in back in June after cutting it from a whole sub-primal I had aged for 45 days. Aging is NOT done in a FS bag though. I'm in the camp that prefers to use a product called a DrybagSteak bag when aging my meat rather than going commando meaning leaving it sit raw in your refrig.

Hot tubbing means dropping the raw meat in a food safe bag and submersing it for say 1 hour in hot tap water of at least 100° - I need to change out my water 4 times in that period to keep it hot.
    IMG_1847-1.jpg
    At that point your internal meat temp is going to be 85 to 90° before going on the grill. Most times with steaks I merely sear them for nice warm red centers and med rare doneness.
  • eggsrgreat
    Options
    Thanks, I will look for those bags. I want to try that.
  • Smokey EggHead
    Options
    That looks great!! :)
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Thanks so much! Cooking mine Christmas Day and I think the Bloody's will be needed after a Chrismas Eve soiree.
  • RRP
    Options
    Here's the only place they are available. Check the forum while there too...
    http://www.drybagsteak.com/
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Ron:

Can you use the drybags with a Foodsaver sealer unit? I sure wouldn't want to shell out another $125+.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • RRP
    Options
    Judy,
    yes you can if you follow my instructions I posted on You Tube here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytQGVYuHHKg&feature=player_embedded

OTOH you can also use a tight sleeve from a panty hose leg with a Drybag with an sub-primal piece of beef inside to help squeeze out the air and then seal with a twisty and remove the hose.

OTOH you can also enter a contest where 5 DrybagSteak kits including a Sinbo snorkel vacuum unit are being given away. Each is a $150 value so $750 is in the pot with really low odds! Here's more about the contest if you want to enter.
    http://www.drybagsteak.com/