Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor cooking temp

Options
easteregghead
easteregghead Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How does the outddor temperature affect cooking in the BGE and how to I adjust cooking time?

Comments

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Not any at all. The only thing you need to do is make sure that the lid or draft door isn't frozen closed. If they are, that will add some time to your cook to get them opened. Plus, you should always cook to tempature not time.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Whether it's 350° inside the egg in the summer or 350° in the winter, it's still, well, 350° - is it not? You don't adjust cooking time. I imagine it might take a bit more lump in the winter to get it to a given temp, but can't recall seeing it discussed, so perhaps it doesn't. Regardless, the cook's the same.

Welcome to the madness! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    The food only cares about about the egg/dome temperatute. Whether it is 10* or 80* outside, cook the food at your desired temperature and it will be done in the same amount of time.
  • howmeisterg
    Options
    No problem! The egg will get to temp and food will cook and be great regardless of season!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

It only affects the person cooking.

bge_s_m_snow.jpg

GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    not at all...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    The best thing about the cold temps is that the Egg stays hot and the beer stays cold all on its own. Sustainable, green energy.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Let's look at the logic of the question here.

As long as the thermometer says the temp is X&deg then the temp in the egg is X&deg. Nothing else matters.

Would you adjust the time of cooking something in your oven in the winter? The answer is obviously (I hope) no. Same applies to the egg.
  • PhilOsh
    Options
    The ice in my drink doesn't melt and the beer freezes when it's below zero.