Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Ceramic bottom in pieces, replacement?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The ceramic base (the removable piece with the little holes in it) of my one-year-old Medium Green Egg broke into three pieces today, and my local dealer is closed for several days (and is a short hike). What to do? Would a local dealer carry a replacement part like this? Or can I get a replacement part on-line? Help!

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Brian Arnold,[p]Pretty much anything with holes and will not burn or melt will work. Pictured is a iron trivett made by Lodge that many of us use (I hope you have a large Egg since that is what this fits). Many stores sell them.[p]Also - try JB Weld or furnace cement - they are suppose to be able to glue he pieces and hold up under the heat. Check the archives for more on that. Others will come to help too.[p]Stay calm. Bge will stand behind it - call them Tuesday.
    BGE[p]1-888-929-3447
    1-800-939-3447
    Atlanta, GA[p]
    Tim

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Tim M, the Lodge replacement is 8", the original grate is 6.5" - the drain cover is only 7 inches!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Brian Arnold, go to your local weld shop and get a piece of junk diamond mesh.. Have them trim it to approximately 8 inches around. You probably will not even use your new grate when it comes. Just another alternative and shouldn't cost ya over a couple bucks. Try to get 3/4 x 1/4 diamond.

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p] Is 8" too big for a medium egg?[p]MikeO
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S12_23_9909_41_01.jpg
    <p />MikeO, 'Too Big' is a relative term. The original grate for a medium is 6.5 inches. The larger the replacement, the further up the firebox from the original design - 8 inches will fit, but will it change the cooking pattern? One thing for sure, a broken grate doesn't work well at all, so any replacement is better than a cracked one that doesn't work![p]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MikeO, Measure the bottom ash pit opening and cut it about a inch larger than the circumferance of the ash pit. If you wish to use one of my earlier design's cut a second one that will fit into the ashpit hole and then put (1) 2 inch SSteel bolt with washers attaching the lower disk to the upper disk. This will eliminate wobble in the firechamber.
    Good luck..C~W[p]