Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butts overnight

HarleyDoug
HarleyDoug Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my second go smoking 2 Boston Butts (1-6.5 lbs & 1- 5.9) every thing I've heard it that my large green egg will hold the heat overnight all I need to do is load up the egg and get the temp right (225) and I should be good to go for 10-12 hrs.
I thinking of starting around 7:00 p.m. checking before I go to bed around 11. It's supposed to get down to about 20 tonight in Chelsea Al. will be using a drip pan w/apple cider and plate setter and some hickory chunks - any words of wisdom?

Thanks much,
Doug

Comments

• Load it to the top of the firering, get your temp stable, throw the butts in there and check on it every four hours or sooner. Cook till 195° internal. Rest, pull and enjoy.

Heck, if I can do it, pretty much anyone can.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,501
    Morning Doug:

Unless you have a BBQGuru or similar item...I would recommend dome temp of 250 to 270...much easier to maintain overnight without problems. Otherwise sounds good.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• thanks much have you let it go all night long before and have you noticed any loss in temp due to outside temp yes, I'm going to load her up should I be able to get
    8+ hours w/o losing temp
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    shoot for 250 instead. seems to be a 'groove' that the LBGE rides in. better odds for the fire
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I've gotten over 30 hours on 1 full load with the large
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You will probably need 10-12 hours for a 7 lb butt. No problem though. My large has gone 16-18 hrs and still had 1/3-1/2 the lump left. Make sure none of the air holes are clogged.

The egg doesn't care if it's 20°, or -20°. YOU might, but it won't. Besides, 20 ain't cold. :laugh:

Be sure your temp is stable at 250° for an hour or so before you add the meat. If stable, the temp drop when you do add the meat will correct itself.

You don't need liquid in the drip pan.

Good luck!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• My last overnighter was 2- 7.5 lb butts for 17 hours to 195 degrees. Perfect night with no wind and 20 degree low temp. Enjoy.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Definitely think 250 dome is the way to go. You may want to use a wiggle rod about an hour before you go to bed. Not a bad idea to check on it once in the early AM.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thanks everyone! BGE was around 280 & I cut flow down a little fell asleep and checked @ 5 a.m. it was at 300 butts were dead on 200 after 10hrs adn very good I think I had allowed fire to get too hot to start and that made it hard to get back down. I'll take for my 2nd Boston Butts cook on my BGE

Thanks all