Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The BGE and the office don\'t mix, do they?

Options
Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I guess we'll find out today. I've been working professionally now for almost 8 years and in that time I've never once brought a dish in for the holiday party. Then again in past years I didn't have a pig furnace at my disposal. I figured it was time to introduce some BGE BBQ to the office so I did a brat low and slow cook last night.

On to the cook.

I set my XL BGE up at 200 degrees indirect with hickory wood chunks. Then put on 30 Johnsonville brats for a low and slow traditional BBQed link. We went for 2 hours until the got nice color and smoke flavor. You have to love the cooking surface area of an XL.
IMG00057-20101216-1901.jpg

We got some snow yesterday but that didn't stop me last night. Gave me an excuse to be outside with mother nature.
IMG00059-20101216-1902.jpg

Here are all 30 after 2 hours on the smoker. The came out perfect, nice and juicy, great color and you wouldn't believe the hickory smell coming off them. I used last nights pizza box lined with foil to carry them into work this morning. Thanks Papa Johns.
IMG00062-20101217-0805.jpg

Here they are all dressed for the party in the break room at work. I loaded my crock pot up with 4 Yeungling beers and set her to low. The beer should add another layer of flavor and I can't wait to try these. I know one dish at the office party this year that won't dissapoint.
IMG00063-20101217-0933.jpg

Hopefully my office mates will appreciate my contribution and we'll get another couple BGE devotees out of the party.

Happy Holidays from MP.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Yes they definitely mix...Your office mates will love the food and you will be asked to do more & more..but that isn't a bad thing. ;)
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    MP ... I could eat one of those right now! Everyone at the office will soon know the power of the egg. :woohoo:
    For some reason I get invited to every departmental luncheon.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    MP, very nice! Earlier this week my colleagues sampled my smoked salmon and everyone loved it! This afternoon it'll be smoked cheese and beef jerky!
    Gary
    canuckland
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Mud Pig, I predict your popularity will being going up a notch or two after your office holiday party! :)

Did you eat a brat after just smoking it with the beer braise ( suspect you just had to try one)? If so let me know which one you prefer, smoked only or smoked and braised.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    MP- where are the homemade buns???

Just kiddin- that looks great. The beer bath in the crock pot is a great idea for serving them. I just might have to steal this idea for a new years party. Did you drink the other 2 lagers from the 6er?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mud Pig
    Options
    Definitely prefer them straight off the smoker. They lost a little of the juiceness int he fridge overnite. Still came out great from the corck pot, but nothing beats link straight off a smoking egg.
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    Haha, no buns this time. I did these links based on traditional BBQ fare, so you generally don't put smoked links in a bun. At least the BBQ joints in VA don't.

The beer bath was an amazing way to reheat them. The beer penetrated the brats and added to the flavor for sure. If I just would have used water I guarantee some of the smoke flavor would have been leeched into the water with nothing to replace it. This way you you get a nice beer flavor going, which adds to the brat overall.

Sadly, I only brought four beers and use them all in the crock pot, don't want the powers above to smell beer breath on me.
  • QBH
    QBH Posts: 49
    Options
    Careful you may end up getting recruited to cook the company holiday party.

Wednesday we cooked for our holiday party:

4 pork butts
    10 racks ribs
    4 turkey breasts
    12 loaves garlic bread.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    You are going to become the most loved person in the office!!! I took some pork tenderloin and sausage to our office Thanksgiving luncheon (first time to take anything egged to work). Wow - it was a very easy cook for me, they raved and went on and on about it! I got great pleasure in doing this - in fact I'm surprising them next week! Get ready to be admired! :laugh:
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    I took my mini to work last year and cooked 13 pizzas...my brother cooked a turkey and ham for his holiday party yesterday and it was a real hit! Tell us how they liked it!
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    The brats were a hit, they went fast and you could smell the hickory in the conference room where they laid all the pot luck dishes out. I might have set a precedent here, cause I'm sure I'll be asked to bring something for all the pot lucks throughout the year.

It was nice to contribute something to the office and to see people enjoyinh themselves.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    You done good! Lucky folks :)
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    Looks great!

But watch out for that coworker doing their version of the keg stand...with your crock pot! B)
  • Vincent Chase
    Options
    I laughed hard at your 'pig furnace' reference. I hope you don't mind if I steal that!
  • BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Options
    My mouth was actually watering as I read down your post of pics. I'm going to give that a try! Nice work.

BobbyG