Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HoneyBaked Ham® and Bean Soup

Options
Pakak
Pakak Posts: 523
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone saw I had mentioned ham and bean soup using a HoneyBaked ham and asked if I had a recipe. Well I don't but I jotted down some notes on how I do it. Since I took the time, I figgered I might as well share. Not much to it, really, but if you've never done it before I guess it might clear up some mysteries.[p]HoneyBaked Ham® and Bean Soup[p]When your ham gets down to where it isn’t sliced (or sliceable) any longer, take a knife and trim pieces of ham from the bone. I’d guess you want to salvage about 1 ½ - 2 cups of ham, then dice it. More is usually better![p]Now, you want to make a stock from the remains. I put all fat, juices, gristle, bone (all the waste kind of stuff, but all of which provides flavor) and meat that isn’t salvageable for the soup (or other uses) into the stockpan. One thing I’ve noticed in the past – the stock MAY be too sweet if you use too much of the sugar/honey glaze material. You may want to use this judiciously. Add enough water to cover the bone fairly well. Through the cook, keep checking the bone. Meat will fall off and there may be smaller bones that separate. Just keep covered with water.[p]I cook the heck out of this – probably about 24 hours just below a boil or so. Meanwhile, soak your beans overnight. My personal preference for beans is the prepackaged 12 or 15 bean mix for soup. This comes with a ham flavor package in it too (at least the brand I get does). See what your stock tastes like before adding. I have used it in the past and found the taste was acceptable, though other times I don’t use it. It just depends on how rich your stock is.[p]After cooking the bone and remnants of your ham for the stock, it’s time to clean it up. To get the fat out, chill and skim off the top. Scoop out the larger pieces meat, gristle, bone etc. and discard. I then pour the liquid through a sieve to get out the finer pieces. Finally, I usually strain AGAIN through cheesecloth.[p]By the time you get to this point, your beans should have soaked overnight. Drain them and rinse well. Add to the stock. Add the ham you reserved to the stock. For seasoning, I only use salt and pepper. Season to taste. Cook until beans are tender (read the package for approximate time – grin). Re-season and serve.

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Don't know if anyone will scroll down or look at this but, just a follow-up ...[p]I made my own, traditioanl (to me!) HoneyBaked Ham and bean soup just after writing up these directions. Everything is pretty much as I described. Just thought I'd clarify that I used a prepackeged mix of 16 beans (1 pound dry, I think) for the soup. I did NOT use the flavor packet this time, as the stock turned out very rich.[p]I've made this several times and have to say - this was the BEST ham and bean soup ever! (It's almost gone. Tasted great with the leftover Southwestern cornmeal dressing!)[p]