Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Frozen Gunk, but now I'm cookin'

PattyOPattyO Posts: 882
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Remember me, with the frozen shut lid last week? Pulling the egg out into the sunlight defrosted the seal and vent then I stored it again with a camping fork between the rings. Now I want to use it and went to clean it out. Couldn't find the air holes. Totally filled with frozen gunk. So I took out all the semi used lump, cleaned the ash from the bottom. Then off came the fire ring and I couldn't pull out the fire box. Felt around with my finger nails for the holes and dug them out with a screw driver. The bottom plate was clean. I know I could have chipped away some more at the box, but didn't want to get carried away. Put it back together, filled with old and new lump and I'm back in business. A bit concerned about thermal shock but I know most of you egg in the dead winter and it's only about 24' here now. Miss Daisy was also frozen but a quick shower with cold water opened her up. I'll clean it again tomorrow hoping the heat today will losen some of the remaining gunk. A friend gave me a ceramic "beer can" that I wanted to do a chicken with today and also use the rub and sauce from my elf. What we don't do for the love of the egg. This is my first winter and I'm loving it. I mostly use Miss Mini, but that chix needs the medium.
Any suggestions how to clean it thoroughly from the frozen gunk?

Comments

• 61chev61chev Posts: 539
    I think I would get it going fill it with lump open the vents put the grid on with daisey sittin in the middle and let it go just as hot as it will then when the coals are used up and it cools down shopvac it out make sure the fire is all out though!!! take it all apart the clean burn will solve your problem sounds like you must do alot of low and slow cooks