Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ DX arrived today!!

Options
tmuenster
tmuenster Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I received my DigiQ QX for the large BGE today. It is green with the 8’ probe and pit sensor, a pit sensor stand, and the 10 cfm pit viper fan. I am planning to try a 14 lbs brisket this weekend. Bubba’s page on brisket has been helpful:
http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
The KISS philosophy should help make my first brisket turn out better than something more complex. A good rub, good charcoal and the DigiQ set for “low and slow.” What could go wrong?
This forum has been a tremendous help and please let me know if you have any tips for my first brisket.

Best,
Tom

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Congrats Tom. It's a sweet unit, and you'll get the service to back it.

Biggest tip I can give ya quick is pay close attention to the placement of your cooking temp probe. The Guru will hold your temps rock-steady, but pay attention not to put the probe too close to the meat or too far out on the edge of your grate.

Enjoy it!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    I'll second that. In addition, you may want to pay attention to the amount of wind created by that 10CFM fan - it may be a bit on the high side for a LBGE. I have a 5CFM and find that to be more than sufficient.
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    Options
    srq2625 speaks the truth, I did ribs with mine and I closed the damper down to about 25% of capacity and it held 240 for 5 hours, the thing is truly amazing! The 10 cfm fan is way more than needed for a low & slow on a large
  • tmuenster
    Options
    Great advice. I will dampen it down. Funny, the BBQ Guru site recommed the 10 CFM with the large BGE.
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Options
    The reason we recomend the 10cfm is two fold. If you plan on doing higher temp cooks say in the 350-400 range then the the 10 is often needed. Also it will help in getting your cooker up to temp quicker than the 4cfm.
    Better to go slightly larger then to find out later you don't have enough.

Kenny
  • AustinTX-Egger
    Options
    +1 on the fan recommendation. I bake bread, pies and pizzas on much higher temperatures and the extra fan power is very helpful. At lower temps, it just puffs and a smaller fan would be sufficient.

You'll enjoy the DigiQ.
  • tmuenster
    Options
    Thanks Kenny. You are right, I can always use the damper on the 10 CFM to throttle down the air flow.

I have to say, the DigiQ is a very high quality product.