Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how small is a minnie or should I buy a small

Options
Egghead Willie
Egghead Willie Posts: 185
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
SO I have the Large that I keep at my lake house and in winter only there on weekends. I miss the heck out of it. So I am planning on getting one for the house. It's the two of us and most cooks will be for just us. So do I get a small or a minnie. Or do I get another Large. Can I easily move the minnie or small to take with me to the lake in the summer months?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    hands down - go for the small! It's just the two of us as well and of my 4 eggs the small gets 60% of all my business!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    well... if you can swing it, the large. but a small will do you good service.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    I agree with RRP. The small is very versatile and easy to move with a strong back. I had the large for a few years when i realized how much less charcoal a small would use and it gets up to cooking temperature alot faster. hope this helps BTW- other option is to get both.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    The mini is mini! We had one, but it was simply too small for the two of us. It was a struggle to cook two good sized ribeyes. We sold the mini, and got a medium, which we absolutely love. Since it sounds like you will be traveling with it, I would go with the small.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I have both, and the mini serves as a grill only. Others rig it to do low and slow, but it doesnt perform as well as the small doing low and slow. If you could only get one, my vote is 100% for the small. I have Lg-Mini, and the small and mini get almost all the use.

But I love the mini for one man cooks. I light it with my weed burner and it looks rediculous with a a fire ball coming out. Its a bbq microwave, ready almost instantly.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    bwag829,

Large if you can. That way you can transport your accessories from place to place. Medium is a great machine.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    John I have to try the weed burner on the mini. I use it on the large and small only.
    But always worry that I will set the house on fire doing the mini.
    But will do it next time :woohoo:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Steven has a good point about needing only one set of accessories, but I have a large and small combo and love it. When it is just the two of us the small gets most of the work :)
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Hey Mickey, the house might not be the only thing at risk. Watch out for a charred handle!
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    There are two of us; I got a large first, then a mini, then a small. The mini is very small and as LC said, sometimes a struggle to cook a couple of decent sized steaks - then not even room for a potato. We got our small and LOVE it; :P sadly, I think we've only cooked on the mini once in almost a year. :ohmy: The large we now use pretty much only when we have company or when I'm doing ribs or something larger.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

The flame thrower is pretty tough on the mini's gaskets if one presses the trigger...

Kent
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Kent, you speak the truth. The nomex has held up pretty good. That oem gasket went quick with the flamethrower.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Oh John, John, John... Love the mini for cooking for the wife and I and maybe a couple of the grand kids.

I very seldom use the small and after a 2 or 3 years it is still white on the inside.

poblanoncheese1.jpg

poblanoncheese2.jpg

bratstuffpepper.jpg

tunamelt_1.jpg

tunamelt_2.jpg

bratsonmini.jpg

brats.jpg

samoanchick.jpg

Anything over 3.5 hours I go to the large.

But, I guess most of that would be considered grilling - I do close the dome. :)

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I guess I will install that in the spring...

I have something for you. You need to give me a call sometime when you lit the kids go home early. Are you still at the Redwood campus?

Kent
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    John I had not given that any thought :blush::whistle:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tweety
    Tweety Posts: 455
    Options
    We want a mini for traveling only. Are any of you selling your mini's that you don't use? :whistle:
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I am, just finished fall semester this week, now trying to get grading done by tomorrow. I need to stop by and say hi and see how things are going. I also need to start making payments on your medium or small so I can have one paid off by the time your ready to sell in the spring. My moms house needs an egg. I hate to see that small neglected like that. :(
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I am not being sarcastic but the only thing I would own is a Large or 2 at both houses if I had 2 houses!.If I wanted something portable I MAY consider a small.There are a LOTSA MINI lovers on here and they pull off some awesome cooks on them.Sometimes I even try to talk myself into one then I go by my dealer and look at them.I consider them a novelty.I may buy my new grandson one to roast hot dogs and marshmallows on when he turns 3. :woohoo: ;)
  • iabbqguy
    Options
    I've had a large for several years and then this past October, my wife bought me a small for my birthday. It's great and I really like the large / small combo.
  • thegrillster
    Options
    The mini will help you control your weight as it does limit the amount of food you can cook at once.

I have found this to be a tremendous help.

With some ingenuity it is just as versatile as the rest.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

It will be good to see you when you get some time. The small is still tucked away under the eve of the house feeling neglected.

Kent
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Depends on how much you want to cook at any one time and how portable you need it to be.

The small is big enough to cook lots of different things where the mini requires a little more creativity.

the small has more accessories available where the mini requires a little more creativity.

as far as transporting the small, I can't speak from first-hand experience, but I move my mini a LOT and am glad it doesn't weigh any more than it does. My back is not getting any stronger and the last thing I need is to throw it out. I can easily bring it tailgating or pop it in my trunk to take on vacation where I cook on a small balcony.

I find the mini to be big enough to cook the entree portion of a meal for my wife and two kids (girls not boys). sometimes this means three steaks on the grill with a 4th one sitting on top.
    IMG_1265.jpg
    this is with 4 tenderloin steaks.

you can cook up to a 4 lb chicken or roast in the mini where you could probably cook twice that on the small (I'm guesstimating)

If my circumstances were different, I would have got a small, but the mini was the right fit for me. Hell, even my dealer didn't know what anyone would do with a grill that small.

There is a little challenge inherent with it's small size, but I have found it to be a good little cooker.
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    Thaks all. After some really great comments and feedback and pros and cons I just orderd a small. Hope to have it in for next weekend.