Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Char Crust on Steak

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone used some of the CharCrust stuff on good steaks? I have all the flavors (having purchased the combo pack) and thought maybe I'd try one instead of the good old mustard/salt standby. Whaddya think, oh wise ones, and which flavor?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MollyShark, My favorite is the garlic and peppercorn for starters. Mustard is always a great base for rubs but go with it without and compare. I like it both ways.
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]I am with Woody - on steaks the garlic -peppercorn is hard to beat but the original comes very close. If the yare really good steaks, I prefer sea salt & pepper. Enjoy.[p]Tim
  • Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]Try your own test. Try cooking two steaks with different flavors and see what you like. Roto roast is great on prime rib.

• mollyshark
    Options
    Sounds good. I'll try the garlic on mine and original on the little guy's. I have a ribeye. He has a strip. And yes, they are good ones. Very good. Prime...2" thick. So I'm spoiled, ok![p]Put my new stainless vent cover on today, incidentally. Looks lovely. Had to gut it to get to the bolts, of course, but a good occasion to clean out Senor Egg. The regular vent cover rusted through in no time. I wasn't very happy! I mean, this isn't Arizona...but it isn't Seattle either![p]Thanks for your advice. Will let ya know howsit goes!
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]It shouldn't have been that bad and rusted that fast - you aren't near the gulf are you??[p]I have my new stainless vent to install - did you use a high temp silicone behind it? I have had mine off before so I now what you have to do to get to that bolt.[p]Tim

• mollyshark
    Options
    Haven't done the silicone yet. Will need to. I can tell it isn't a tight seal by any means. Either way, I can actually open it! I was rather disappointed in how fast it disintegrated. Nowhere near the gulf. In Ft Worth! I talked to the BGE person and she was like "well, if you keep it outdoors and it rains, it will rust." Where do they THINK I will keep it? In the closet? So I got a cover justincase, but I think that is absurd really. Shoulda come with a stainless vent cover to begin with or they should have traded them out if they disintegrated that quickly. Ah well. It's over and done.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Just finished the steak. Had a ribeye, strip, and a tenderoin. All prime. Did the ribeye with the garlic/peppercorn and the others with original. You know what? I like the mustard rub better. This was good, but it was too independent of the steak. Not saying that well. I could taste the steak and taste the crust, but they didn't meld as well as the mustard, kosher salt, ground pepper rub. But ah, still damn good. Overcooked them just a tad. I had cleaned it out so well when I installed the stainless vent that it got to near 1000 degrees with the lids off and it took me about a minute to get it down to where I could open the darn thing. Phew. Anyone up for inventing a remote control auto-open lid? Man...I'm parched!
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]I likey good steaks. The best way I've found to have a tremendous steak is to buy a tremendously good cut o' cow! And as most everyone I've ever heard says, the better the meat, the less fussin' required.[p]That being said, my simple tastes have come to love a simple rub o' Montreal Steak seasoning. My great friend Smokin' Todd graciously bought me a large "BBQ lovers" size container a very long time ago and it's still going strong. Lotsa salt and pepper. Add to this about 2 Tbsp love and you're on the right track.[p]Soon you'll be saying, "Heee,"
    Cornfed