Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised grates

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I have another "newby" BGE owner question (with more to follow I'm sure). I have been reading various recipes and some call for cooking the item on a "raised" grate. I was wondering if you attained this by using a bigger grate or if the standard grate could be raised easily using other items. As stated before, I have alot of questions being a new owner of the BGE, and thank everyone in advance for their responses.

Comments

• Eggsellent
    Options
    Moses,
    Well, our's is messy right now (we call it grill lovins), but here's a couple pictures. We got ours at the BGE store, but you should be able to find them at any reseller or grill store. The legs hook right on to the grate - real simple. Some folks use fire bricks and an additional grate which is just as easy. It's up to you. HTH[p]640Dsc00249.jpg[p]640Dsc00250.jpg

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Moses,[p]BGE makes a product called a raised grate. Its essentially a grate with legs that clips to your existing grate giving you two cooking levels, or one higher level, a bit farther away from the direct flames. I use mine when I do direct cooks as it helps to prevent charring on the portion of the meat closest to the fire. You could raise your current grate by putting some firebricks along the edge of the fire ring and placing the grate on that. may not be too stable but it would work. As I say, the purpose is mainly to remove the meat from the direct heat of the 350 or so degree fires for things like pork loins that will take longer to cook through and have a chance of burning if too close to the fire.[p]Troy
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    gx.JPG
    <p />Moses,[p]I highly recommend the BGE Grid Extender. I use one all the time and by the time you go out and find the stainless hardware to build your own, you'll spend as as much, but you won't have as much function.[p]A number of places sell them on the Net. Just look for BGE grid extender or check with your dealer.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Moses,
    Along with the others comments, you can see several setups on my website in the "tips" and in the "cooks" sections.[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Moses,
    I have photos of the grid extender and how to make a raised grid in my ceramic FAQ page:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Ceramic FAQ[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Moses,[p]A couple cooks.[p]Beef Jerky
    BeefJerky1.jpg[p]ABTs
    ABTs2.jpg[p]CWM

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Moses,
    I've had my BGE for a little over a year, and I don't have one of these, yet. It's definitely next. Or maybe a MAPP torch. Anyway, for variable height, I first I went with the plate setter, which when inverted gives you a raised grid, but also an indirect cook. It also provides the space for a drip pan, when necessary (as does a grid extender--thereby also producing an indirect cook). [p]I guess I need indirect cooks more often than just height. So if you have to buy one before the other my vote would be on the plate setter.

• Eggsellent
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Nice pics! Do you cook your ABT's with the plate setter and the raised grid? That's some crisp lookin bacon - YUM! What temps, etc?

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Eggsellent,[p]Yep, 400-425 with placesetter and raised grid. About 45 minutes. Bacon was so crispy.[p]CWM
  • Eggsellent
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Can't wait!!! I'm making some Friday. One more question - do you turn yours at all or just leave em alone?

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Eggsellent,[p]Turn very little. I just like sitting on the deck and hovering over my cooks.[p]Enjoy.[p]CWM