Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Gasket

tipc1tipc1 Posts: 20
edited 1:08PM in EggHead Forum
My original gasket is not sealing as well on my large egg as it did so I want to replace it. Should I go back with the original or is there a better alternative?
Thanks,
tipc1

Comments

• Mud PigMud Pig Posts: 463
    Don't even bother, my gasket lasted for a about a month and I haven't been using one for the last 6 months. Don't even know why you would need one really.
  • tipc1tipc1 Posts: 20
    Thanks
  • tipc1tipc1 Posts: 20
    WOW information overload. Enough reading for days.
    Thanks
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 3,864
    All Eggs are not as lucky as yours. The molding process is not perfect and some will have little to no gap on a trashed gasket and some will have gaps big enough to make temp control nightmare for slow cooks. I have both.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,904
    I agree wholeheartedly! I always say my large dome is so wavy it would make a sailor sea sick!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • I got rutland fireplace gasket at a fireplace store it cost me $3.00. Next I used permetex ultra copper silicone gasket and sealed the rutland material to the bottom only nothing on my lid. this works the best for any temp you can get too 600++. . better than the original and nomex, I have had them all. And if someone says its not FDA approved well then decide for yourself im sure you wont be eating the gasket.
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    I have to agree as well..my large is far from flat on the sealing edges..
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    I agree.....Just ask the Naked Whiz....and trust your own instinct
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/gasketsafety/nomexgasketsafety.htm
  • tsbradytsbrady Posts: 101
    don't waste your time with the original gasket, I put a nomex on my medium about 6 months ago and so far so good, when the gasket on my new large goes I think I will try the rutland just because you only have to put it on one side thus not having to take apart the egg