Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking some cheese

Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I wasn't going to do cheese this year but Hoss pushed me right on over the edge yesterday with his post. I picked up 10 blocks of pepper jack, and about 15 blocks of cheddar today at wally world. My plan is using the soldering iron and going about an hour on the smoke. Apple will be the choice of wood and I guess this year I will get to skip the ice tray, because its currently 22 degrees outside. I think I may leave my cheese on a cookie sheet outside for about an hour after smoking to air out and then into ziplocks to finish the mellowing in the fridge for a week. I figure at 22 degrees I don't have to worry about insects getting on it while it's resting. Anybody else have any great ideas or advice?

Update: I just finished up and ended up going an hour and fifteen minutes total time. I went almost two hours on the last batch and it was too smokey for my liking, so I trimmed it back this year. I had to stand a few sticks up to gain some more real estate, but I did get it all on there. Going into ziplocks now and into the fridge. I probably will foodsaver them in about four days.
IMG_7863.jpg
IMG_7860.jpg
IMG_7865.jpg

Comments