Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Academy last night

Options
Bobby-Q
Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We did our last class of the year last night and we cooked 45 Dry aged, USDA Prime, standing rib roast. We also did Duck L'Orange, a couple of sides and a full dutch oven of chocolate fondue.

The class went great and we had our very first major celebrity in attendance. The 2009 British Open winner Stewart Cink. He is a super nice guy and also a serious EGGhead.

He posted a picture he took. http://plixi.com/p/62988767

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Very cool Bobby...now if I can just get Stewart to join the North Ga Eggers...we would give him a discounted membership rate..LOL :)

Looking forward to more classes in 2011....Merry Christmas
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    any pics of the dry-aged roast?

would love to see/hear how you did it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Did you age the meat or buy it that way?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MA egger
    Options
    Is he a member of the forum? I'm thinking KitchenCink would be a good handle.
  • stike
    Options
    i think he's a bagger. ;)
    (not that that is a bad thing)
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Was gonna be my question as well
    South SLO County
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    You would be correct kind sir!

Cooked it at 225° until it hit 125° and then pulled it and got the EGG® going direct at 650° and then I seared it on both sides. Let it rest about 15 minutes and sliced it.

Actually we got caught up in the class a little bit and it went to about 135° at the end. I was very disappointed but the class all loved it.

Did one where I trimmed the leather and the other I left untouched, save for some fat trimming. Gave each student a half piece of each one and they couldn't tell a difference due to the limited crust on each slice.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks Bobby - I was pretty sure you were in the Drybag camp!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    Options
    sounds great. i am doing one for christmas, and don't want to screw up after aging it 40 days or so. did you do a seven bone roast? do yo have a preference for either end?

re:Bobby-Q wrote:
    Did one where I trimmed the leather and the other I left untouched, save for some fat trimming. Gave each student a half piece of each one and they couldn't tell a difference due to the limited crust on each slice.

that's music to my ears. i have been preaching and fighting the good fight (don't trim) for a couple years now, and still we see those totally deflating pics of hard-won dry-aged meat going into the trash because someone freaked out seeing something not 'supermarket pretty'. brown is where it is at.

another question... did the jump to 135 occur because of an extended rest, and the meat carried over? or was it due to too long over the sear?
  • stike
    Options
    he's one of those "food-safety scaredey-cats" too, i think. :laugh: :laugh:

>ducking!
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    They were both 14 pounders when I bought them, both boneless, so I'm guessing it was at least 7 or 8 bones. They weighed in at 11.5 when they came out of the bag. The one that was trimmed lost about 2 pounds in the process and I trimmed it very tight to the leather.

The overcooking was a combination of 3 things. I think we cooked them both a little long after it hit 125°. Randy was getting one reading and I was getting another. Then we let it rest for a little too long after the cook before the sear due to time issues with other demos. Then when we seared, the fat from doing 2 huge roasts sent the EGG® nuclear so the first side of the 1st one was seard at 600° and the last side of the 2nd one had to be 1100°. It singed the gasket right off.

They were delicious and everyone raved about them but I was disappointed on the inside, you know what I mean.

I forgot to wish you and your family a very merry Christmas!
  • stike
    Options
    i hear you on the disappointment. first one i ever cooked for guests i was raving about how good they were, and the thing had to have hit 155 hahahaha ugh

sounds great. thanks. looking forward to doing the same cook this christmas.