Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

BGE Cookbook BBQ Sauce vs Williamson Brothers?

Hungry in LilburnHungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited 6:26PM in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, I am cooking about 30 lbs of pulled pork. After trying all kinds of sauce I have just about settled on Williamson Brothers BBQ sauce (red for cooking and yellow for dipping) as my favorite. However, I have the big BGE cookbook and noticed the recipe in there. Anyone ever made it? I was thinking about giving it a try but it does seem like a lot of work when I can just crack open a bottle of WB. But if someone thinks it is really, really good I will give it a try. I don't know where to find a Chipolte Pepper in Adobe however. Would Kroger's have it?

• vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Yes Kroger carries Chipotle in Adobo. It is in the ethnic section under Mexican food. I buy it all the time...I like to make my own sauce but I also like just opening a jar. If you have time I say make it and give it a try...what do you have to lose but a few ingredienst...put all 3 sauces out and let the guests decide. :)
  • LOL! I tried to do a "taste off" this past summer before I got sick. I had 7 different sauces, even a couple I wouldn't eat at gunpoint. Well, I had about seven people and ended up with seven favorites! LOL! I guess BBQ sauce is like wine, you like what you like and dislike what you dislike! However, when I make my soon to be award winning (like I would have the guts to enter a cooking contest!) Brunswick Stew everyone likes it best with Williamson Brothers Red! I just don't know if you can enter a contest using a commerical sauce, can you? Maybe someone has Williamson Brothers Red recipe they can share? Or something like it? Don't want to break any laws.

Okay, your right. Guess I need to go to Kroger's and buy the ingridents and try to make some. Do they have the smoked papirka too?
    Yes they have smoked paprika in the spice section... ;)
  • I accidentially bought some of the Williamson Brothers Red Chipolte sauce and used it in my baked beans. Most of the family loved it! A few whiners about "the beans are hot!" but I told them "I don't know why you say that, I don't think it is to hot!" All I know is that I cooked a whole dutch oven full and had one pint left over! And my granddaughter ate those for lunch the next day!
  • I cooked for 65 folks last week and took the easy way out when I bought a gallon of Williamson at Sam's for about $8.50. I used it as a side for the pulled pork, mixed in my beans recipe, and glazed over some chickens. Everyone loved it and it was EASY.
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,171
  • Thanks- and well deserved. :evil:
    Cam Newton would have made his own sauce.... :woohoo: :lol: :silly: :pinch: :side: :whistle:

Of course his daddy would have sold it.....

sorry Teddy I couldn't resist.... ;) :)
  • You can buy Willamson Brothers in gallon size bottles at Sam's? Darn, in the car I go! Ingles had it on sale this summer and I bought 12 bottles of red and yellow. It is almost gone! But I am going to try making my own tonight. Try it on my inlaws!
  • Ouch! :woohoo:
  • DrZaiusDrZaius Posts: 1,481
    They call it Cammy Cam Sauce.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    vidalia1 wrote:
    Cam Newton would have made his own sauce.... :woohoo: :lol: :silly: :pinch: :side: :whistle:

I hope Oregon swallows a lot of it at the NC game... ;) :) :laugh:
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,171
    It's amazing how you Miami fans abandon ship so easily.
  • Correction. Cam would have stolen the sauce (laptop), then left the store before getting charged with stealing it(UF cheating). Only then would Cecil have tried to sell it at a 4000% markup before just giving it away to Auburn. The latter done without Cam knowing about it. Make sense?
  • And it is good! I put two chilpote peppers in it. It is a little hotter than I thought. And a little more tart due to the vinegar than I would have thought. I may play with it and see how to improve it some. I am thinking a little sweeter or even citrus of some sort.
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Would love to hear the feedback if you decide to do it.
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    You missed the boat Hoss... :laugh: :whistle: Check the post just before yours! :laugh: :evil: :silly:
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Hungry in Lilburn: I would think a bit of brown sugar or regular sugar would not only offset the acidity, but some of the heat, as well. Also though, you may want to cook with it first. Most times both heat and acidity "cook off". So unless your plan is to use it as a dipping sauce only, may want to try it grilling some chicken or something before you alter it too much. JMO.
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    :blush: :laugh: